gadget man groove for the throttle body?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

he might get results on the first few pulls, but after 300-400 miles the computer will tune it out or go into limp home mode if its out of range to correct.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Yeah that had been reported on some of the newer cars. Seems it has value on carbs and tbi motors mostly. ANyway real feed back from other diy guys.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...an-groove.html
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/ar.../t-204454.html
Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
This seems to confuse throttle bodies of port and direct injection with throttle body injection and shows a few carburetors to boot.

Since the injection is electronically managed the modifications done would be automatically compensated for by the computer. The air leak would speed up the engine idle and lean out the mixture. The computer would be informed of the idle increase against the other conditions its mapped to and would command the Idle Air Control (IAC) to cut back back the throttle plate bypass air to slow the motor back down, you wouldn't even know this happened unless the change was so extreme that the IAC couldn't get control, in which case you get a code light illumination.

For leaning the mixture, if this actually occured the O2 sensors would read the lean out in response to this the computer would command the injectors "on" time to correct the mixture. Again unless the change was more radical than the system can respond to, if that were to happen you'd get the engine trouble light and a code.

The discussion about air flow past the throttle body having an effect on mixture homogenization is the same argument that was given for these type modifications and gadgets sold for carburetors. Port or direct EFI works completely different from a carburetor or Throttle Body Injection. The only thing going past the throttle body of central port, tuned port or direct cylinder injection is air. The fuel isn't added till just ahead of the intake valve on central and tuned systems, there is no manifold mixing nor is there any way of having manifold mixing. For direct cylinder injection, the fuel is added directly into the cylinder. For these the intake system from throttle body all the way through the intake valve carries nothing but air. For all these injection schemes including the CPI and TPI, fuel mixing occurs inside the cylinder.

One can argue that Throttle Body Injection suffers some of the same mixing problems with air that carburetors have. But engines using TBI since it came into widespread use in the mid 1980's all feature some sort of spin gadget somewhere along the intake tract, or in the combustion chamber adjacent to the intake valve. For Chevy it was the Swirl Port head that has a ramp just ahead of the intake valve. Ford put a similarly functioning vortex generator within the combustion chamber which causes the incoming wet flow to tumble and homogenize the fuel and air. Along with those gadgets a lot more attention was and is paid to combustion chamber design to increase burn speeds, improve burn completeness, and reduce emissions. The CPI and TPI motors pushed the head combustion chamber technology even further finding that the gadgets can be removed when the induction is only air and that the chambers can be shaped to accomplish the necessary tasks. Here you get the GM Vortec and Fastburn heads, the Ford GT40, and MoPar's Magnum to name a few.

Starting in the mid 1980s is what I call the second generation of emissions engines, you see designs that in many ways are more similar to the Muscle Car era engines than are the first generation of emissions engines of the 1970's. Basically the second generation and on has moved from reducing emissions with external add-ons and functional compromises into incorporating the function into the root design. Once that happened power and mileage began to make enormous improvements while reducing emissions.

Today we're pretty much into the 3rd or 4th generation of these emission engines, they deliver power, mileage and life expectancy far beyond that of the Muscle Car era and first generation of emissions engines. When you figure that the internal combustion engines use of the heat it makes is at best 33% while it throws 66% away in exhaust and coolant heat. One can see that there is room for a lot of improvement yet to come. This will result in a cost/mileage competitive electric car being even further away in future time. These new cars and trucks have caught governments in a financial bind as mileage has improved tax revenue has fallen while highway use, thus the need for new and repair for old highways has increased faster than revenues. Those of us living in the west are going to start paying tolls over the next few years which is going to come as a rude awakening to us who are used to going anywhere at anytime for the cost of fuel. I can't say I like it; I'm just reporting and forecasting.

Bogie
Next question On the video he is useing smog testing equipment to prove before and after results only at Idle I notice which make no sense the mod only works as you open up the throttle and the car seem to be idling normal he has to being doing more that just the groove!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Found this one http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...e-mileage.html

http://www.google.com/patents?id=opT...ed=0CDcQ6AEwAA
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

I called the guy and sense he is in my area I'm going down and take a look at his Idea as it apply to me! 1.reducing smog 2. improving mpg 3. if there is performance that would be cool also.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

There is a fourm on there web site I pulled this one out because it being done on a newer chevy with a tech showing picture and testing!
http://www.gadgetmangroove.com/index...794&Itemid=829
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:

wrong post oops
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Sense I seem to be the only one here interested in this tech. I'm going to try to document my finding if I like what I see first off! First step I spoke to the inventor and have a meeting next week. I also took a look at there offroad short course racing that was filmed on you tube. I have a couple extra tbi laying around so its not cost me anything!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

I found this University in Australia Panacea! That been working with all kinds of fuel saving device we all know about. This video is of them testing the product that I'm looking at! So I will add it to my research

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA9CN...DDAACB0D3808B2
Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Ok guys, I met with the inventor today and also had the good fortune to watch the mod done on a saturn. The owner a engineer from Honeywell said it work good! I and a number of people came by to take a look at this invention including a student from UTI Which also test drove the saturm before and after! Anyway I now have a moded tbi in hand And will start testing soon! Picture to follow! Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Here is my testing tbi on the right, As you can see its no modded unit just a stock unit with the groove. I have set up my own personal tbi to compare the two. I will be taking it apart for cleaning before installation. What you can't see is the groove depth and shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004 - Copy.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	62995   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 - Copy.JPG
Views:	2074
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	62996   Click image for larger version

Name:	008 - Copy.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	62997   Click image for larger version

Name:	009 - Copy.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	62998  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Finished cleaning the tbi With soap and hot water to keep from damaging the seals on the throttle shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	188.JPG
Views:	1704
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	63025   Click image for larger version

Name:	189.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	63026  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Last this I do is check warping of the base. If I find low spots I block the base on my flat machined surface. Here you can see the before and after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	2025
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	63043   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1347
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	63044   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	1795
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	63045  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

After reviewing the Idle air pathway mod. I came up with my own bolt in version that fits both TBI casting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	63134   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	63135   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	63136  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I can't comprehend how a modification that affects the throttle plate just at idle or slightly open would have any significant affect on mileage beyond idling or just off idle. This groove thing can't have any affect on mileage at even steady 35 mph speeds, let alone freeway speeds.
Additionally the cleaning of the throttle body alone could easily make the engine run better, and feel better, so the more gummed up or older the car is, the more likely it will run better with even a simple good cleaning, regardless of whether a groove was cut or not.
I think it's a lot of smoke and mirrors and wont make any difference unless all your car does is idle.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.