gadget man groove for the throttle body?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gadget man groove for the throttle body??

Was looking around for new mod for my truck and came across this found it very interesting if true. The video don't by a local talk web show! attracted there attention! to see what this guy is doing watch the video! like to here input Seems this is being use quit a bit all over you tube! going to do some more research! If true this is good news for fuel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLIqM...ture=fvwp&NR=1

Craig

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krr0Y...eature=related
Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

http://gadgetmangroove.com/
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

GIMMICK. Can read right thru his garbage just by looking.. the 'technology' itself is not patented. he only holds a copyright on the web material. His personal license or pro license is purely a way to get money, and there is never any mention of what the groove does because he has no patent. I went thru the forums and checked it out, and was able to figure out that, the groove creates a small vac leak. the engine gets unmetered air and the engine leans way out for better MPG. DAMAGING effects... Add to that, the bogus claims. look at the '93 GMC or the '94. 1 claims 125% increse ( 38 MPG total roughly ) and the other 65%. both bogus, especially being they are TBI injected and his mod puts an outside oxygen source directly into the mixture..
Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maS5X...eature=related
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
GIMMICK. Can read right thru his garbage just by looking.. the 'technology' itself is not patented. he only holds a copyright on the web material. His personal license or pro license is purely a way to get money, and there is never any mention of what the groove does because he has no patent. I went thru the forums and checked it out, and was able to figure out that, the groove creates a small vac leak. the engine gets unmetered air and the engine leans way out for better MPG. DAMAGING effects... Add to that, the bogus claims. look at the '93 GMC or the '94. 1 claims 125% increse ( 38 MPG total roughly ) and the other 65%. both bogus, especially being they are TBI injected and his mod puts an outside oxygen source directly into the mixture..
Hmmm! I thought this was a good one with a some what famous person in off road racing! Kinda fun looking in to it! Has a lot of shop set up all over the country so I don't know!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2L6m...eature=related

Last edited by ChevyTruckGuy; 02-06-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

How would the grove damage the engine??? I have not bot in to this deal but interesting in the same way one can tune your car then by create this pressure wave as he calls it to increase air flow why is that any different than putting in a 1 inch spacer! don't quit under stand it yet still trying to figure it out! Also weird the is know patent did think of that!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Well spent all night look at all the youtube vids that went in to detail on how the grove is done! What I cant figure out is if it is creating a vacuum leak it would seen the engine would idle higher dont see that! Also has it hook up to a snifer and showing before and after changes in smog emissions I don't see how that would be possible! Last how is it that mpg increase after you open up the throttle the grove would no longer function may be part throttle would work. Just don't get the science behind this yet! The guys shop is a few mile from my house I may run buy and see what up!!

Craig
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

OK I finaly got a picture of the mod!
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Gadgetman_Groove
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gadgetman_dremel_groove_300.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	62746  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
a few things, if that was true. it never idle, it because it'sefi,would add fuel,as the o2 sensor reads lean..
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Well so far it seem to be the real deal! Thirdgen has pick up on it so who know I'm still sifting thought the data Thirdgens people think is more of a low end mileage mod which that is great if one is getting 12 mpg!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Ok here is one of his first video of work out the tbi build Idea's Cool I like these guy think out side the box!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3RFZCk_RZY

Now that I can see the process I do have a couple extra tbi units I could play with sure beats the 250-300 buck to have them do it!!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

total scam, its basically mimicking the same theory as the tornado. but fact is the O2 sensor isn't gonna let the engine run rich or lean, you add nore air, its gonna richen the mixure, you add more fuel its gonna lean the mixture. Its hogwash. and this guy has aperantly never seen a gummed up carb from a car that has sat in a barn with old gas. he is full of crap.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Yeah! Have know clue just getting info from diffrent testing site dyno number guys got a lot of shops set up! numbers on testing so lie or true! I'm not verse on air flow other than what the groove does on the back side of the throttle plate It seen if follows a path of less resistance with at that point open of the size of the throttle bore, does this rush of air really do any thing like he states with low pressure way?? No dang clue! The fact that there are these shops pro shop doing this has to say somthing or there all fools that payed 5000.00 for the right to the process that has a patent in the works!

So I may go down to his office see what up or I may just do one and get my own data!
Any way fun to explore may be that just me!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
Was looking around for new mod for my truck and came across this found it very interesting if true. The video don't by a local talk web show! attracted there attention! to see what this guy is doing watch the video! like to here input Seems this is being use quit a bit all over you tube! going to do some more research! If true this is good news for fuel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLIqM...ture=fvwp&NR=1

Craig
This seems to confuse throttle bodies of port and direct injection with throttle body injection and shows a few carburetors to boot.

Since the injection is electronically managed the modifications done would be automatically compensated for by the computer. The air leak would speed up the engine idle and lean out the mixture. The computer would be informed of the idle increase against the other conditions its mapped to and would command the Idle Air Control (IAC) to cut back back the throttle plate bypass air to slow the motor back down, you wouldn't even know this happened unless the change was so extreme that the IAC couldn't get control, in which case you get a code light illumination.

For leaning the mixture, if this actually occured the O2 sensors would read the lean out in response to this the computer would command the injectors "on" time to correct the mixture. Again unless the change was more radical than the system can respond to, if that were to happen you'd get the engine trouble light and a code.

The discussion about air flow past the throttle body having an effect on mixture homogenization is the same argument that was given for these type modifications and gadgets sold for carburetors. Port or direct EFI works completely different from a carburetor or Throttle Body Injection. The only thing going past the throttle body of central port, tuned port or direct cylinder injection is air. The fuel isn't added till just ahead of the intake valve on central and tuned systems, there is no manifold mixing nor is there any way of having manifold mixing. For direct cylinder injection, the fuel is added directly into the cylinder. For these the intake system from throttle body all the way through the intake valve carries nothing but air. For all these injection schemes including the CPI and TPI, fuel mixing occurs inside the cylinder.

One can argue that Throttle Body Injection suffers some of the same mixing problems with air that carburetors have. But engines using TBI since it came into widespread use in the mid 1980's all feature some sort of spin gadget somewhere along the intake tract, or in the combustion chamber adjacent to the intake valve. For Chevy it was the Swirl Port head that has a ramp just ahead of the intake valve. Ford put a similarly functioning vortex generator within the combustion chamber which causes the incoming wet flow to tumble and homogenize the fuel and air. Along with those gadgets a lot more attention was and is paid to combustion chamber design to increase burn speeds, improve burn completeness, and reduce emissions. The CPI and TPI motors pushed the head combustion chamber technology even further finding that the gadgets can be removed when the induction is only air and that the chambers can be shaped to accomplish the necessary tasks. Here you get the GM Vortec and Fastburn heads, the Ford GT40, and MoPar's Magnum to name a few.

Starting in the mid 1980s is what I call the second generation of emissions engines, you see designs that in many ways are more similar to the Muscle Car era engines than are the first generation of emissions engines of the 1970's. Basically the second generation and on has moved from reducing emissions with external add-ons and functional compromises into incorporating the function into the root design. Once that happened power and mileage began to make enormous improvements while reducing emissions.

Today we're pretty much into the 3rd or 4th generation of these emission engines, they deliver power, mileage and life expectancy far beyond that of the Muscle Car era and first generation of emissions engines. When you figure that the internal combustion engines use of the heat it makes is at best 33% while it throws 66% away in exhaust and coolant heat. One can see that there is room for a lot of improvement yet to come. This will result in a cost/mileage competitive electric car being even further away in future time. These new cars and trucks have caught governments in a financial bind as mileage has improved tax revenue has fallen while highway use, thus the need for new and repair for old highways has increased faster than revenues. Those of us living in the west are going to start paying tolls over the next few years which is going to come as a rude awakening to us who are used to going anywhere at anytime for the cost of fuel. I can't say I like it; I'm just reporting and forecasting.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.