Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gaining experience
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gaining experience

I'm learning a lot just by reading all the posts. Other than experience, what is the best way to learn upholstery? I've done all my sewing on an old singer 188KI that I rebuilt myself. It works ok for the most part, but doesn't have a walking foot. In process of buying either a consew, or singer 111W156 (mentioned on previous post). Can't wait to get the deal done. In reading the posts from all the guys with multiple years of experience, I find myself thinking I should have found this calling long ago. I'll be sixty soon, and wonder.... how long did it take you guys to hone your skill? I want to increase my abilities at sewing full length, 30' sailboat covers, biminis, etc. So far, I've done ok with my projects, but they have been for me, and I would like to do more for others (huge demand in my area). Are there classes in learning this business? I'm not making high end auto upholstery, but owners of $30,000-and up boats are pretty demanding (and should be). I know it's dependent on my skills and commitment, but any advice form you veterans would be appreciated.

Thanks