gaining interest - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

gaining interest

my dad has several projects that hes kinda got going on right now... about 10 years ago he tore apart an 84 gmc 2 wheel drive truck and he was planning on totally restoring it fixing the rust and everything else but he just doesn't want to finish it. he has several projects going on right now too but he just doesn't seem to want to finish them. Anyone have some ideas on how i could get him interested?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72nova19
my dad has several projects that hes kinda got going on right now... about 10 years ago he tore apart an 84 gmc 2 wheel drive truck and he was planning on totally restoring it fixing the rust and everything else but he just doesn't want to finish it. he has several projects going on right now too but he just doesn't seem to want to finish them. Anyone have some ideas on how i could get him interested?
Renting a pretty little redhead for a couple of hours seems to work wonders for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM

hahahaha
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM

ha! i dont know if i have any reds workin the corners around here
Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 PM

im sure blonde or brunette would work just as fine!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Take him to a local truck/car show or the drags if theres one fairly close. That may perk his interest a little, if that doesn't work then I'm afraid he has hit "The Wall"
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Interest

"Hitting the wall" is not all that uncommon. People start and stop, start & stop. All it takes is a little something - a visit with another rodder, a chance conversation "How's that ol truck of yours coming?" and after a while it comes back to being a focus to get it 'er done, if for no other reason - bragging rights!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Maybe if you offered to help with the restoration, it would get him going, and be a good experience for you both. Of course that could take a couple years of your spare time. :-)
Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
There is nothing that works better for me than simply GETTING OUT THERE! If I go out to the garage for just five minutes, if I tell my self I will only stay out there for five minutes I WILL do it. Then if it is only five minutes, so be it, SOMETHING got done. But it usually turns in to a half hour or more and I get a bunch more done.

But just five minutes a day does wonders.

I also have to say that YOU have a hell of a lot more energy then he does and don't think different. When I think of how long I would work out in the garage when I was in my twenties. I would work a full day out in the body shop at work then come home and work until midnight day after day week after week and not think a thing of it! Now, at 51 years old, sorry, I just can't do it and will fall asleep on the couch during a ball game at 6 pm! I NEVER could have done that twenty years ago. But we change, I don't see how I used to do it.

Brian
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just go out yourself to the garage and do something..One thing that gets me out the door is some young'n saying I need some help here..

Sam
Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I am 72 years young and retired. I get much more done now in a time period than I ever did in my 20s and 30s. First my skills and tool collection have grown leaps and bounds after retirement. Second, my career before retirement taught me some valuable organizational and planning skills that play a big part in building street rods. I do a lot of thinking, researching, and visualizing before starting to look for a project vehicle. By the time I find it, I am way ahead of the game. When the vehicle is in my shop, I spend a lot of time studying it and try to be realistic while developing a plan of attack. I write it down and put it in the computer for periodic review and adjustment when unforeseen or unplanned events unfold. I will jot down notes pertaining to what I plan to accomplish the next day and check them off as the day progresses. Nothing like going home in the evening knowing all the objectives were accomplished that day or at least knowing I gave it a good shot. I continually try to plan ahead to keep the required parts and supplies available when I am ready for them. I hate waiting around for parts that keep me from going on to the next phase. Work in a clean up, straighten up, tool showdown/put up day. Working in a neat and orderly environment has a positive impact on production. You can be a big motivator for your dad by saying the night before, "Hey Dad, what are we going to tackle tomorrow on the car" or "Hey Dad, which one of your projects could be completed the fastest if we focused on it?" Or "Dad, I will clean up the shop if you will finish the motor that you have all the parts for". Be a cheer leader that wants to learn from the master. Most Dad's can't turn down a chance to shine for the boy.

Trees

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.