Galaxie automatic to manual trans conversion
My Galaxie project for this year was to remove the C6 trans and install a manual trans. 4 speed toploaders go for big $$$'s these days, so I opted for an el-cheapo 3 speed out of a full size 69 Ford. I also got the pedals and brackets. After spending about 3 hours removing the pedals from the donor car, during installing them, I discovered that the brackets are the same for the auto pedal, so the pedal installation was relatively easy.
The transmission was behind a 390 FE engine, and since I have a 351W, I had to search for bellhousing, flywheel, starter, etc. Grandpas 57 (here on the forum) provided me with most of the missing pieces for this part of the conversion. Thanks Grandpas 57.
Assuming that the 2 types of Ford clutches (diaphragm and long type) have the same bolt pattern, I ordered a clutch kit from Jegs. Well, as luck would have it, they are different. Ordered long type pressure plate seperately, now have a useless diaphragm pressure plate for garage decoration.
Ebay was the source for a good deal on Hurst Indy shifter, which works well, but unfortunately off set the shifter to the side of floor tunnel more than I liked. Will have to deal with this later since I have to get the car out of the way.
Had to fumble through a pile of driveshafts at junkyard to find one with a matching yoke because the C6 shaft wasnt even close. Found a couple matches, out of an 80's Ford truck, but should be a couple inches longer. Tried to buy a rear u-joint to fit. Key word is "tried". Well eventually they handed me the parts book and turned me loose in the u-joint shelves. Bought 2 joints, switched a couple caps and was able to replace both joints in the shaft. This was a prime example of the old "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" theory.
Clutch linkage... bellcrank from the 69 390 car worked but not perfect with the windsor. Drilled and tapped bellhousing for pivot ball. Cut the appropriate hole in the firewall. A little tweaking, cutting, fabricating, and welding, the linkage appears like it will work.
Exhaust... I worked with "Murphys law" on this one. Way back when, I bought a set of Summit brand headers. They listed every Ford except Galaxie, so I thought they MUST fit. WRONG! Right side fit, but collector hit trans. Left side hit steering linkage and trans. I modified the headers to fit, all was ok...BUT the left side no longer fit with the clutch bellcrank installed. No headers available for this particular application, so I installed the old exhaust manifold. Bought a unversal type flange to fit the manifold, and am in the process of building the front pipe to connect with the rest of the exhaust. Ran out of wire for the welder, so I will have to complete it tomorrow.
Then for the first time this year, I will (hopefully) drive it.