Galv. patch panel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Galv. patch panel?

Is it ok to use galvanized metal as a patch panel where it will be covered
by filler? Will filler adhere to it as well?
If not I can always sand the galv off the side toward the filler.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

I cant say how well filler will adhere to it, I'm sure one of the gurus here can chime in on that, however if your welding this panel in be careful, galvanized metal gives off some very nasty fumes. I'd recommend staying away from it myself.

Chris
Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

no, it does not work very well with filler or primer, someone else can tell you better than me
Old 11-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Why in the heck are you usin galv, jc? It will work OK if u sand/scuff it hard. Personally, I wouldnt use it, but if you do, sand the **** out of it!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Jim, I've had problems in the past with hot dipped galvinized. It has to be scuffed. I do have a bunch of 5X10 sheets that came out of Chryslers van plant of which they stamp floors with. These are not hotdipped but are galvanized. They use a diff process. It is great for making panels and floor pans. Anyhow they say just to epoxy and fill. Have not had any problems in the last five years or so. Cheers!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

CD.... You got to understand Clark. He is as tight as they come. He probably found a piece from one of his wife's appliances, and wants to use it for a patch.

Actually, other than the welding hazards, you have to wonder, since there are many parts that come from the manufacturer that are galvanized, and made to weld to non-galvanized parts. I seem to recall a couple of parts that go on the back corner of a Chevy Avalanche, that were galvanized. Other than grinding off the galvanizing for welding, I didn't do anything different. I don't think the paint shop did either.

Aaron
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

When i had my body shop which i ran for 11 yrs. a guy gave me a large stack of galvanized metal. I used it for years and patched a lot of cars with it. I live in mn. Land of 10,000 rust holes. I always made sure I ground the edge where I planned to weld and then ground off weld and complete outside of patch before I applied bondo to it that still left galvanized coating on back side of patch even if I couldn't get at it to undercoat it. Seemed to work just fine and I had a lot of cars that still looked good 5 yrs later. Even had a 69 roadrunner that I did for a young guy and I ran into his dad at a party over 10 yrs later. He recognized me and asked me if I remembered the car and I did so he took me out to the garage and pulled off the car cover and said still the same paint you put on it. Still looked really good and that was back in the acrylic enamel days.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Big problem with galvanized sheet metal is the fact that it's REAL oily from the mill and a good cleaning is necessary to even start. The vinager wipe down just won't get it. Grind off the areas you want to weld and AFTER cleaning with a good solvent grease & wax remover,treat it like ANY piece of metal which means,scratch it before painting.
Or,
Drop it in some muriatic acid for a bit and it will eat the galvanize off and you have a plain piece of steel which WILL flash rust in minuites if not seconds.
We use muratic as "flux" before soldering pans and duct and yeah, it WILL clear your head out.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

LMAO adt...youre probably right, and boy is he gonna get it when she sees the door missin off the clothes dryer

Bee, I was thinkin along those lines too (I used to do sheet metal work for many years) and youre right about muriatic, itll definitely clear ya sinuses, especially when ya hit it with a soldering iron lol.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

I use galvanized for patch panels. I grind off the galv. at the weld area and scuff the rest of it. I haven't had a problem with filler or paint. I use epoxy primer over the patch and the "Z" grip filler which sticks to galv.

BUT... If you feel sick when welding the galv. metal drink some milk to cure (calm) that feeling. But be sure and wear a respirator cause breathing the fumes can cause some serious health problems. Besides you want to live a long time don't ya?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.