Hot Rod Forum banner

Garage door

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Jimbo17 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried to cut in a window in an insulated garage door? I bought a solid door, and now I want at least one window to peak out of. Anyone done it? Where did you get the window?

#2 ·
Get one of those porthole windows from a ship that have the cover on them, than you can see when you want to see. Gives you time to put away the "secret" sruff. :thumbup: Dan

#4 ·
Leave it to Dan to come up with something perverted!!! I wouldn't respect him if he didn't !! :thumbup:

Dewey, you should see this guy in a ,uh, um, establishment of the "clothing optional" variety! :pimp: ROFLMAO!!!

I'm thinking like a 6" porthole (like Dan mentioned) for 2 reasons.
1.) To see if someone is coming in the driveway at a glance
2.) So my buddies know I'm in the back shop, so they can stop in.

The shop doors are solid, so no one can see if the lights are on.

And my shop is like a meeting hall for all the delinquent rodders, sledders, 4 wheelers, racers, etc. so I get a TON of visitors. Cable TV, Beer, comfortable chairs, super smart host (and modest too), new projects all the time... why wouldn't ya stop?

Dan-
I just saw that you started a journal ! That 36 looks MINT ! COOL!

Those houses are so close, I bet the neighbors KNOW when you had Taco Bell for lunch !

#7 ·
Hey Beenaway you have HomeDepot or Lowes in or near Syacuse, I'f I'm not mistaken, they have replacememt windows for doors, just make sure you know how thick the door is and I think you should be able to get one.

Where did you get your 65 Malibu, looks just like my buddies old one?

#8 ·
Iroc-
Are you from Albany? The car was in Clay for a while, too. Could be the same car. A guy came up to me this summer and told me all about it. Right down to the touchy brakes. New power disks are slated. I have them in the shop, just need time to install. I wish they would have color sanded or wet sanded before doing the graphics. Surface looks like Oprah's butt with all the orange peel.
Its got a new 350/330hp crate and th-350 in it now. Its much happier. :D

#10 ·
Its gotta be! I talked to the guy that did the graphics, and have his card. I can't remember for the life of me, who it is. Nice work, though! Again, just wished it would have been wetsanded first. :(
When I finish the 39, its going to get a new paint job. There are a few more pics in my Gallery and Project Journal.

#11 ·
Thats the car if Gary Marr did the work. I almost bought it when it first went up for several years ago. The car was originally an automatic, was real soild and clean, Ma didn't like it because it was white. Its nice to see it again. nice garage!
I' ll be talking to ya again, I help with our DARE program and for the last 10 years we've put on a car show, usually draw 150- 200 cars, always looking for new people.

#12 ·
1.) To see if someone is coming in the driveway at a glance
2.) So my buddies know I'm in the back shop, so they can stop in.
Home Depots have a wireless security camera and monitor for $99. Get one of those and a Walk/Don't Walk light or a Traffic Light for the front of the garage. Red = your out, Yellow = be right back, Green = beer's cold, come on in.

Kevin

#14 ·
name sounds familiar! Had an old power glide w/ floor shift/console. Still has floorshift/console. Motor was a 2bolt 350 out of a 73 California smog Camaro or Nova. Nothing special with the heads, and Harland Sharp roller rocker arms. Pooch motor.

Kevin-
I have on of those for the house. Not really thrilled with it. :(

Traffic light has merit....

#15 ·
I have on of those for the house. Not really thrilled with it
What don't you like about it. I was really considering getting one and was looking at them last week. The one I looked at was black and white. I have also seen wired camera (H.D. had the wireless) and I have seen a few pop ups on th enet that shows color monitors and three camera for around $250. I would like to have something to where I can see the garage from the house.

Kevin

#16 ·
Kevin-
I have the wireless day/night, B/W monitor w/ sound. Everytime someone walk between the monitor and the camera (Otherside of the wall, in the attached garage) the picture flutters. Same thing happens when any R/F device starts. Like a vacuum, cell phone, cordless phone, etc. Both units have to be plugged into 110v. Maybe I'd be happier if the camera was waterproof, and I could mount it outside, but it'd still need 110. Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 10. Maybe I should cut in a window.....:( I also have one of those driveway alerts that beep. That works about 60% of the time.

For the pole barn, I think it's out of the question. Too easy to look up and see lights if I had a window. If the lights are on in the shop, then the passer-bys would see it the light shine through. Again, too easy.
You have to remember who you're dealing with here! I'd forget to chage the stop light thing, and guys would pull in when I'm snuggled up to the wife in bed!!

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA RADIO SHACK WIRED intercom? I have an old one and 2 newer ones. I need one of the newer ones. They have been discontinued, and all use wireless. I hate the wireless. Its based on your power source. My shops are on a separate power source than the house.

#17 ·
My Garage Door

The garage doors I have on my shop are nine feet tall and insulated.

They came with fixed glass in them but I wanted to get air through them so I made up a different setup and let's me remove the glass and had screens at certain times of the year.

I think if you contact any garage door company they can supply whatever shape windows you want.

Jimbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.