Hot Rod Forum banner

Garage Door Open At The Top

23K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  sqzbox 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

When my garage door is closed the top doesn't stay shut. It leaves about a 2 inch gap. Can someone tell me how to adjust this in more so it sits flush with the wall? Thanks

Dave

#2 ·
the top hinge point should be about two to three inches longer then the bottom ones as well as adjustable look at them to see if the can be loosed and slid forward to accommodate for the two in gap at the top... another tip if i wasn't successful with providing you with helpful information google it!

#3 ·
daveh said:
Hi Guys,

When my garage door is closed the top doesn't stay shut. It leaves about a 2 inch gap. Can someone tell me how to adjust this in more so it sits flush with the wall? Thanks

Dave
You have to make sure you have the hinges installed in the correct order, they are numbered. If you can post some pictures of the top hinge, that would be helpful.

#5 ·
daveh said:
Ok I will try to get some pics this weekend.

How do the hinges go?

Is #1 at the bottom or top. I bought the house like this so now I'm trying to straighten things out to keep the garage warmer. Thanks
Here are a couple of pictures of my garage door hinges. The hinges in the center of the door are alike and don't need to be installed numerically. It's the track hinges that need to be installed in order. Mine are numbered 1-5 with #1 at the bottom. Note the top hinge, it is adjustable by two bolts to close the gap at the top. Also note the center track hinges and how the rollers are placed in the holes. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#8 ·
1ownerT said:
May want to check that the door is the appropriate height for the opening. Door could be for a taller opening.
This was my first thought ...i
looking at the door when its closed ,is the top section of the doors wheel still in the curved part of the track???? if it is the track will need to be raised until the wheel is in the straight part of the track....if its in the straight part of the track the track itself can be adjusted in or out also....

#11 ·
S10 Racer said:
Here are a couple of pictures of my garage door hinges. The hinges in the center of the door are alike and don't need to be installed numerically. It's the track hinges that need to be installed in order. Mine are numbered 1-5 with #1 at the bottom. Note the top hinge, it is adjustable by two bolts to close the gap at the top. Also note the center track hinges and how the rollers are placed in the holes. Hope this helps.
Your hinges are backwards. The largest (the one that sticks out the farthest from the door) should be on the top of the door and get progressively smaller as they go to the bottom. The one that sticks out takes up the gap at the top because the top door hinge roller doesn't go all the way to the vertical part of the track. If you need pic's just ask, I've got the same door X2.

#12 ·
sqzbox said:
Your hinges are backwards. The largest (the one that sticks out the farthest from the door) should be on the top of the door and get progressively smaller as they go to the bottom. The one that sticks out takes up the gap at the top because the top door hinge roller doesn't go all the way to the vertical part of the track. If you need pic's just ask, I've got the same door X2.
The hinges are installed correctly, the picture is rotated to the left, the top of the door is the left hand side. What you see is the door in the closed position.

#14 ·
1ownerT said:
The hinges are installed correctly, the picture is rotated to the left, the top of the door is the left hand side. What you see is the door in the closed position.
Yeah, my hinges are installed correctly. I should have rotated the pictures when I uploaded them, it is confusing. I was trying to show the OP what they should look like and compare with his.

#17 ·
daveismissing said:
Do you have a garage door opener yanking on it there?
There should be some reinforcement at that point already?
Probably not. I have the same door and there's no reinforcement only a bracket that attaches to the center vertical rib for the door opener. The door if it doesn't now, might have had a door opener on it and it get's a lot of stress at that spot from constant use. I had to do what he mentioned with the angle iron but I used a 3' piece of aluminum angle and sheet metal screws across the top of the door on mine after the top started to crack. I also put a block of wood cut to fit in behind the bracket. :thumbup:

Need pic just ask. sqzbox :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.