Garage Door Width Suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Garage Door Width Suggestions

This is in regards to the same garage I'm trying to design from the previous post. Take a look at this link to see the basic garage design.
http://public.fotki.com/jhnbrackett/bell-dungeon/
Total dimensions: 24' x 48'

I'm looking for recommendations for garage door sizes. Right now my thoughts are 2 8' x 8' (height x width) doors seperated by 2', and then a 8' x 12' door seperated by another 2'. The 12' door section would have a raised cieling and a hydraulic lift. The biggest vehicle we would work on is a Chevy 3500 Diesel. Is a 12' door overkill? Especially with the work area off to the side. I'm leaning towards another 8' door or maybe a 10'.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Don't switch the 12 to an 8 because I am pretty sure these measurements of doors do not include loosing width due to how the door fits the opening. So you would end up with less than 8'. Extended truck mirrors won't like a small door...been there, and have damage on mine.

A 8' door seems pretty darn skinny if you have a car half way out for some reason. If the 8' is just for storing a driver, that's fine, because you need to conserve space for the work area. I really think I would do a 12, but that's just me. Depends on how it would screw up your floor plans.

I don't know what your lot layout and solar location is, but lots of guys put a garage door on an end or backside to roll the car out for work that is better done in private, rather than facing the road? A sunny outdoor area or shaded?

Lots to think about in design.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

2' + 8' + 2' + 8' + 12' = 32'

That leaves you with 16' of wall pace left on the long side and 24' on the short side (less wall thicknesses). Because your garage is only 24 feet wide where you will be parking the vehicles you will not have a lot of space in front or back of the parked vehicles for shelves or benches or equipment. Can you sacrifice the extra 4' of wall space for your third door? Lay out your benches, tools, shelves, storage chests, equipment and work areas including walkways and see what you have left. Good luck.

Last edited by home brew; 05-23-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

I've got a 22x40 shop and I can barely get my Hudson in it pulling straight in and have room to walk around the front and back.(124" wheel base not including sheet metal and bumpers!)

I've got 2 - 16'x10' doors and the extra door width comes in handy if I want to pull a big rig in kinda sideways to make it so I can work without rubbing my butt on the back and front walls.

I'd say if you can afford it get the biggest doors you can so there is less chance that you won't be limiting yourself down the road.

Another thing I'd add is that if there is any way you can afford to buy a metal rollup style doors as opposed to the track mounted style you'll greatly expand your lighting and heating options and make them much easier and affordable.

I have standard track type rollup doors...if the doors are up no light...and I can't install the tube type infrared heaters I'd like to because of this style of door.

Another point on lighting - if you're going florescent go with the higher output 110w fixtures and bulbs - the difference is tremendous and the operating costs not much more than the 60 watt fixtures.

There - don't you like how easy it is for me to spend your hard earned money? Maybe I should be a politician
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
2' + 8' + 2' + 8' + 12' = 22'

That leaves you with 22' of wall pace left on the long side and 24' on the short side (less wall thicknesses). Because your garage is only 24 feet wide where you will be parking the vehicles you will not have a lot of space in front or back of the parked vehicles for shelves or benches or equipment. Can you sacrifice the extra 4' of wall space for your third door? Lay out your benches, tools, shelves, storage chests, equipment and work areas including walkways and see what you have left. Good luck.
Okay HB----2+8+2+8=20 20+12=32

didja mean -----2+8+2+8+12=22????

(the kid has been too quiet tonight---so I'll harass you)

Bryan
Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Boy - none of my original figures were right! Did an edit though. Good thing that he hasn't been back yet.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 AM

I appreciate everyone's input so far and I'll be sure to post some more of the final plans. I like the idea of the metal roll up doors & 110W lighting. Gotta see how much more overhead space they take up and what additional costs they incur. I'm actually designing this shop for my friend's dad's land that we are all living at. We've already got a 1000 sq ft barn that is being turned into a machine/extrusion shop & a 3+ story house. I'm leaning towards 2 8' doors & a 10' door. The lift posts get mounted 11' 2" apart from one another and a 10' door is prime for that. We are hoping to park the motorcycles in the work area off to the right side too.
Here's a list of the vehicles we all have there:
78 Suzuki GS750
77 Kawasaki KZ1000
04 Harley V-Rod

41 Chevy Pickup (hotrodded)
71 Jeep CJ5 (restored)
78 Jeep CJ5 (monstrosity)
88 Benz
98 Saturn SL
02 Saturn SL
93 Subaru Legacy
02 VW Jetta

& hopefully a 95 Honda Prelude & Factory Five Roadster soon.....
Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

I have a 12x12 overhead door on the front of my barn & a 20x14' slider on the back. The 12x12 works for all personal vehicles & has been used for commercial delivery trucks to back in to deliver machinery, plywood, etc. while the 20' slider will accomodate cement trucks, farm combines, tractors, & such. Go with the 12' door, you will never regret having a door larger than your vehicles. Mine is a torsion bar spring & it is fairly easy to lift by hand though sometime in the distant future I'll put in an electric opener more for convienence than anything else.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

I used a 10' door on my old garage. If I ever do another, it will be no less than 12'. A 7'-wide truck with big side mirrors is a pain to aim through an 8' opening frontwards, much less backwards. 10' sounds like it's enough, but one of these days you'll need to park it in the exact spot where you can't get the door open enough to get out.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:41 AM

What type of sliders or door should I use on the 10'/12' door so that I can use the lift? Do I just have to make sure the door is closed when the lift is up?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.