garage floor coatings - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 10:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I just laid down an epoxy coating from Lowes. It is gray with chips of white blue and black in it. It looks awesome, I am interested to see how it holds up, should do pretty good though. I have already spilled some oil and it cleans up very easy. The little flakes dont even seem to discolor, but Im sure they will after long. It cost me $150 to do three stall garage, I'll post some pics when I get them.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 02:03 PM

Enjoy it now and be careful with it for a while. This time next year will tell you how good the finish really is.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:05 PM

RUSTOLEUM INDUSTRIAL FLOOR COATING

I JUST USED RUSTOLUEM INDUSTRIAL FLOOR COATING ON MY GARAGE.I HAD TO USE TWO COATS BUT IT WORKED GREAT.THE GARAGE IS ABOUT 900 SQ FT.THE FIRST COAT GOT SUCKED INTO THE CONCRETE.BUT THE 2ND COAT DID THE JOB.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:25 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

floor coatings

After reading through these post I see where several of you had recently coated your garage floors. Now that several months have past since then, how are they holding up?
Looking at the Epoxy coatings for mine.
Too big for Ucoat'$ $y$tem.
1000 sq. foot and I want to do a pattern on the floor. Just rectangles under the cars and a border on the edge. Something to break up that much floor space.
So, how are you epoxy guys floors holding up? Jacks cutting into it? Jack stands? When painting do you drop cloth it or does it clean up ok?
Got before and after pics of damage or durability?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:35 PM

My enameled floor is holding up well so far with one exception. The fresh concrete patches are releasing the enamel. I think the concrete was not cured sufficiently, so the moisture in the concrete pushed the enamel off. The rest is holding up well. It was a little soft at first, but now, 4 months later, it is fine. I do see scratches in the surface that dull the sheen. That may not happen with epoxy.
That's my report to date.
Happy New Year to all fellow hot rodders!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I wanted to paint (epoxy) my garage floor, but a salesman from a construction supply company advised against it. He told me that if the floor "sweats" that the moisture will be trapped between the concrete and the coating and that it will come up.
I only heat my garage when I am going to use it, when it has been really cold and I start the heat the concrete sweats. I am not getting any moisture from under the slab, I placed 8 mil poly before pouring the concrete.
I have about 6" of slab exposed around the perimeter of the garage, I think this contributes to the sweating.
If there is a product out there that will not lift if the floor sweats I would be interested.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:01 AM

1ownert, the sweating is due to the cold mass of the concrete coming in contact with warm moist air. The colder surface condenses the moisture and the result is a sweating floor. I get the same thing. I use my garage the same way, only occasionally during the winter and I run a gas heater. If you check out your tools, you will see that they sweat too. You did the right thing laying down a vapor barrier before placing the floor slab. Sealing the top of the floor almost completes sealing the floor slab. The last thing you should do if you can is seal the slab edge around the perimeter. That will help to minimize the amount of moisture the slab can absorb. The less moisture inside the slab mass, the less likely you will experience floor surface release caused by moisture.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Anyone try this stuff? I am thinking about coating the paint booth/wood shop/ hoist area of my new shop and leaving the metal working/welding area raw. that means ~1500 sq ft to paint and I can't afford the Rustoleum/ U-Cote epoxies. This stuff says it is 2-part epoxy and is "only" $100/2gallon kit. I figure I can do it for ~$400 which isn't to terrible. I live in Bakersfield, CA and we get 5" of rain on a good year and relative humidity is below 20% most of the year. In other words water isn't a problem!

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 10-12-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:26 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Quote:
I've done a couple of concrete floors with Thompson's Water Seal. It soaks into the surface so there isn't anything to peal or lift. It seems to seal all the pores in the concrete so splls just don't soak in. You just wipe and they all come off. I love the look of some of the colored coatings but the Thompson's stuff is 15 or 20 bucks a gallon. My tastes lean toward a nice grey epoxy with black texture but my budget says Thompson's.
I used a different product than Thompson's but I can't remember what it's called. I bought mine from Home Hardware by the recommendation of a brick layer. I applied using a weed sprayer. It isn't affected by moisture. That's what it's made for.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

floor coatings

The biggest killer of coatings that I have seen is brake fluid and moving a loaded floor jack around. How have these coatings held up to both of these situations?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-23-2005, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

U Coat It

I used U-Coat-It and had a bad experience.
The epoxy is decent quality but, they don't give you near enough of it.
It won't cover near the square footage that they claim.
It also goes on very thin and any floor texture shows through badly. They were very unhelpful on the phone. I blew a lot of time and money (over $1,000) for my 650sqft garage with this stuff. The clear has stained as well.

I would highly recommend avoiding this company. Hey guys, learn from my mistake.

Check out the epoxy at Griot's Garage. (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=90013) Much, much cheaper.
Looks like good stuff. My brother has bought some for his garage but has not done the job yet. I will post back on the results he gets.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:43 PM

garage floor coatings

Here try these.

www.racedeck.com
Old 11-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Floor coatings

Just did a brand new floor in a 30x40 garage with u-coat it, and love it. Itcomes in a few colors,and is very durable,as well as great looking.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:

I have a small section in my shop that has a wood floor.. and i need to do someting to seal it up as this area would be perfect for my fab area.. any suggestions on this??? I thought about actually putting down steal but don't like the idea of standing on steel if welding.. might be outta luck here
Old 11-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

That 1/2" thick cement board, maybe nailed in place, covered with a thin coat of cement w/ vinyl binder might make a great surface.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.