garage floor coatings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 05:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

garage floor coatings

Hi Everyone;
I am building a new shop and would like some input as to what the best coating would be for the concrete floor.
this shop will be used for all types of mechanical, bodywork, welding and fabrication,painting,etc.
What have you used ,seen in use,heard about?
I just poured the footings yesterday so I have a week or so before I pour the floor.
Any input would be apprecated,thanks

FRIENDS don't let friends drive stock

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

http://hotrodders.com/search.php?s=&...der=descending
Old 05-15-2004, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

Do a google search on the web. I've been reading about companies that use the 'Truck Bed Coating' stuff to paint garage floors. Apparantly it's very durable, and lots of colors and finishes, from smooth to very gritty....

Tim
Old 05-16-2004, 11:29 AM

If you have any moisture come out of the floor the truck bed liner is going to lift!

As said do a few searches, the stuff at Lowes and Home Depot is OK for light use but if used a lot it comes up, the up side is it's cheap.

I put down a coating on my dads shop (he has a used car lot). It was made for drill pipe, but a friend that sells it said it would work. 4 months later it still working great, it is amber in color so it's not made to look good but it sealed the floor and nothing stains it so look around for alternatives.

Now a few tips for what ever you use
1 it has to be clean and I mean clean! Scrub it then etch it and make sure it is perfect of you will get fish eyes. I have done s few different coatings and every time I took a short cut I was going back to re-do spots.
2 Follow the directions to a T, if your like me you don't need no stinking directions! RIGHT!
3 If the floor is new give it the right amount of time to age or the moisture will pop the coating off.
4 fill in the cracks with something the MFG says will be compatable, I tried a few things and some worked some the coating did not like. Adding more portland did not work because the moisture lifted the coating.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

Ya when we pore the floor I'm going to have a heave poly barrier under the concrete so I wont have to worry about moisture coming up from under the concrete.Hopefully this will keep the effervesance to a minimum and allow the coating to last for a few years.any products you recommend?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

Don't put anything on your shop floor! I liked the "clear" look, so I got some stuff at Home Depot and put 5 coats on ...was looking pretty good ...till I spill gas on it! In the process of wiping it up the gas started eating the coating! Got to looking "fuzzy" from the rag I was using! If you use paint ...that can stand up to gas, it gets pretty slippery when it gets wet. SO my advice is to leave it plain. Good luck! ...Mark
Old 06-03-2004, 09:24 PM

go with plain concrete and just clean with acid when it gets dirty/oily. Plus don't forget to get a few drip pans for your upcoming project car.

Last edited by BlvdKing; 06-08-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:13 PM

Supperrodder I use a pipe coating, it is made for drill pipe and I get it free with the 5 finger discount lol. It is a little amber in color and works great. I will say the cheap stuff is well cheap. Look around some the best stuff is a multi part system, you put a sealer then sand then the top coat. I have not seen it in years though and do not remember what it was called. I will look for it and if I find it will post it.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:14 PM

"U-Coat-It" is a good epoxy product that comes in colors and you can add silica sand for grip. It is a lttle expensive but a good system.

A high quality floor enamel designed for industrial use is also a good option. Just be careful to ask if the paint will remain solid under hot tire conditions.

In all cases, moisture is your enemy to good adhesion. On new concrete, let the concrete age for at least 30 days and then check for moisture content. Check by taping a 12" square peice of plastic sheeting to the floor. Be sure all edges are taped securly to the floor. Duct tape works good. After 24 hours look at the plastic cover. If it is very wet between the concrete and the plastic then you have to wait to apply the finish. If there is very little moisture, you can get busy.

I'm an architect an I know what I'm talking about. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:05 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I just painted my floor with a white epoxy paint that I bought a local paint store. i check with the sources on the internet for quotes and also "U-Coat-It" and found out lots of information, some conflicting.
First white will take two coats so figure on a two day install. Second sweep twice and you'll still have some grit but it will wear off in use.
My local "grey seal paint" store was cheaper than any other quote that I had found, plus they recommended an 18 inch roller which made things go very quick. Just "cut in" the edges with a brush and then roll on the paint in a "W" pattern, let it dry overnight and do it again then next day and your good to go.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:38 PM

i have a 24x24 garage and i went a different route, what i did was use 2 heavy industrial vinyl tarps, which happen to be a brite yellow. they overlap in the center and i trimmed them to fit around beams and work benches. these have been in use well over 10 years, they worked great, spills wipe up with rags, they wash and dry easy and provide a great surface to lay on, as well as reflect lite, i've never lost a nut or bolt either!...i have got more than my moneys worth out of this and never worry about oil stains or peeling...might be a nice alternative for someone to consider...charlie
Old 07-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

SuperRod magazine has a couple of page article about U-Coat-It in there this month. It is rather expensive. I think for a 24'x24' garage it was around $400 give orr take if I remember right. Then there is always the added items you can get. I haven't seen anyone personally that has it but if it is a good as they state I'd like to try it.

Kevin
Old 07-13-2004, 05:25 PM

Yes it is a more pricey solution. But if it is done with care, the results are very permanant and worthwhile. I know of at least 3 applications that range from 2 years to 5 years old and all are performing flawlessly. We do a lot of research on the products we specify in our building projects because we are held responsible by our clients to recommend products and materials that we would not hesitate to install in our own buildings. Don't forget, the old saying "You get what you pay for" holds true more times than not. Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=coat
Old 08-24-2004, 02:18 AM
Old enough to know better

I've done a couple of concrete floors with Thompson's Water Seal. It soaks into the surface so there isn't anything to peal or lift. It seems to seal all the pores in the concrete so splls just don't soak in. You just wipe and they all come off. I love the look of some of the colored coatings but the Thompson's stuff is 15 or 20 bucks a gallon. My tastes lean toward a nice grey epoxy with black texture but my budget says Thompson's.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.