Garage floor wet in humid weather - HELP - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dry the floor then lay down some plastic and tape the edges. When your floor gets wet lift the plastic, if it is wet under the plastic then you have water coming up from the ground and I have no idea what a long term fix would be but it the top is wet but dry under the plastic the condensation is the problem. If you have a condensation problem then the post by Rich_Long is correct.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 07:02 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

For what it's worth, here is the product I am looking at: as I stated before, I have yet to have any problem in this garage, but a friends and my old garage was terrible with things dripping it was so wet. The fan circulation idea is a great one and I've seen it used here as well as the dehumidifier. The product I may use is manufactured by Sonneborn called Lapidolith- they also sell one called Kure-N-Seal 30. It says it "will strengthen and harden floors that are pourous, readily absorptive and tightly bonds the aggregte particles providing an abrasion resistant surface resistant to most acids, grease, oils and organic and inorganic chemicals." It is a corrosive substance and you must take standard precautions when applying with roller, spray, brush or squeegee. I was told 2 of the 5 gallon buckets would do my garage and he'd get it 'for cost' at $20 per 5gal. bucket. That is probably half price or less. It is not a pretty, shiny epoxy color, yet it is not slick and seems to seal well on the floors I've seen. It does state for "professional use only"- like most other things we use here in the shop!! Address is www.chemrex.com ChemRex is at 889 Valley Park Drive, Shakopee, MN 55379 Again- I have no actual experience with this product, just trust a friend who works for them and will give it a shot. I have heard of some other coatings peeling, coming up when driven over, pinholing, then losing adhesion in the welding area, being too slick to stand on, etc. I just think this product may work better for my situation and may for others. The local company applying them is called 'Stetson'. Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Dragon...Let's see some pics of the new Garage!!!

As far as wet floors, ask Weimer about his. I have never seen a floor sweat so bad that you have to take a squeegee to it every hour. His gets so bad that water puddles on the floor. BUT he also has had tranny fluid, oil, and who knows what other spills on it, so it may be the case that the chemicals on the floor actually draws moisture. His has no vapor barrier under it. My floor has no vapor barrier and I have never had a moisture problem at all. The garage that is attached to the house, I painted the floor a few years ago and if it gets humid outside it will sweat. Around here it seems like there is no rhyme or reason as to why some sweat and others don't. Also on my garage, I have one side painted and the other side is not and neither side sweats but the garage on the house does. The water table cannot be the cause because my house garage sits at a higher elevation and the ground slopes down to my garage. I do think that the DryLoc or UGL that you paint basement walls with might be a good idea as it is supposed to soak / penetrate and seal the concrete. I have to redo the floor on the house garage, and where it peels and bubblers up I might try and coat those places after I scrape and before I paint. When I do I'll let everyone knows how it turns out.

Kevin
Old 08-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last journal entry: Getting there
Last photo:

I run a dehumidifier 24/7. I don't have a problem when I run it. But If I don't I'll get a damp floor. It's the nature of the beast. If you put down an old carpet the moist air won't hit the cold floor and condense. If you take a cold beer outside (now tell me no one knows what that is ) The can being cold has the humid air condensing on it. Then put a coozie on the can it's now insulated. The can is certainly not porous. Keep the bay doors closed as much as possible and run a fan to circulate the air and you should be good to go. I used to see when there were swings in the weather that I would see alot of moisture on the floor. You aren't going to see it in January while it's 10 degrees outside. BTW that's the best time to sandblast
Just my 2 cents ...sometimes worth more,sometimes less

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.