Garage God - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
Garage God

While sitting in a Chinese resturant I got this idea. If they can have their Budda "Kitchen God" to ward off evil spirits and other bad guys and protect their kitchens and help them produce the best food, I figured that would be a good thing in the garage.

If you are not familiar with the Kitchen God, it is a Budda statue on a shelf with fresh fruit offered up to him placed at his side. My Garage God is, who else, Rat Fink with some Pearl and metal flakes. I put an old gun that was my late uncles that he used to paint on his hot rods a number of decades ago.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

MARTINSR, You could have backed up a bit when you took the picture of the Garage God and showed more of the honey on the poster below also!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
That is a vintage ad from the seventies, "Milk does a body good". It sure does!

Brian
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Good Idea Brian!

A very good idea Brian! But that still doesn't prevent stupidity and mistakes out of ignorance. The only good thing about a mistake is you learn from them....hopefully.

For some reason the "retro 70's" and the fact that you are in San Francisco and work on cars brought back memories of growing up in the bay area.

Back then you listened to KFRC and nothing else. It was THE top 10 radio station playing new top 10 60's and 70's music ....never mind that it was mono AM radio. Dr. Don Rose was cracking me up every morning on the way to school with his sound effects and lines such as "Did you wake up grouchy this morning?.................or did you let her sleep (insert sound effect).

Just after the movie American Graffitti came out, KFRC got their hands on the 55 Chevy in that movie, and as part of their regular contests to improve ratings, had a special contest to give that 55 Chevy away. Man I tried and tried for that car, but alas, it was given away to someone else.

Oh for the nights I cruised Walnut Creek on Friday and Saturday night on $3.00 worth of leaded Ethyl 104 octane gasoline. Life was good in northern California in the late 60's and early 70's !

Steve
Old 10-17-2005, 05:33 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
Back then you listened to KFRC and nothing else. It was THE top 10 radio station playing new top 10 60's and 70's music ....never mind that it was mono AM radio. Dr. Don Rose was cracking me up every morning on the way to school with his sound effects and lines such as "Did you wake up grouchy this morning?.................or did you let her sleep (insert sound effect).

Just after the movie American Graffitti came out, KFRC got their hands on the 55 Chevy in that movie, and as part of their regular contests to improve ratings, had a special contest to give that 55 Chevy away. Man I tried and tried for that car, but alas, it was given away to someone else.

Oh for the nights I cruised Walnut Creek on Friday and Saturday night on $3.00 worth of leaded Ethyl 104 octane gasoline. Life was good in northern California in the late 60's and early 70's !

Steve
I don't know if you heard or not, Apache, but Dr. Don passed away this year at age 70.

http://www.doctordonrose.com/index1.html

Besides the announcement of his death, you'll find a lot of his classic radio bits on the site.

I grew up in Fremont, Ca during the same time, and I remember him well. I listened to KFRC in the mornings, and KYA in the afternoons and evenings. Then I discovered FM and went with KSJO or KSAN depending on the music they were playing at the time.

We used to cruise East 14th St in San Leandro, and I remember being mad at a gas station in Castro Valley charging 55 cents a gallon. It was the only station open that late at night, and we were on fumes, so we put $2 in the car and drove back to Fremont where we filled up at 46 cents a gallon.

As for the Garage God, I LOVE IT! Rat Fink is perfect! I think I woud have splurged a bit and given him at least an oak shelf to stand watch from rather than the pine one he's perched upon in the picture, but then again a true Garage God would understand the money would be better spent on car parts.

I think you may have started something here, Mr. Martin. Give it a few months and everyone will have one. Now if you'll pardon me, I'm off to see if I can find a Rat Fink figurine of my own. I wonder if he also protects carports...
Old 10-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
I don't know if you heard or not, Apache, but Dr. Don passed away this year at age 70.

http://www.doctordonrose.com/index1.html

Besides the announcement of his death, you'll find a lot of his classic radio bits on the site.

I grew up in Fremont, Ca during the same time, and I remember him well. I listened to KFRC in the mornings, and KYA in the afternoons and evenings. Then I discovered FM and went with KSJO or KSAN depending on the music they were playing at the time.

We used to cruise East 14th St in San Leandro, and I remember being mad at a gas station in Castro Valley charging 55 cents a gallon. It was the only station open that late at night, and we were on fumes, so we put $2 in the car and drove back to Fremont where we filled up at 46 cents a gallon.

As for the Garage God, I LOVE IT! Rat Fink is perfect! I think I would have splurged a bit and given him at least an oak shelf to stand watch from rather than the pine one he's perched upon in the picture, but then again a true Garage God would understand the money would be better spent on car parts.

I think you may have started something here, Mr. Martin. Give it a few months and everyone will have one. Now if you'll pardon me, I'm off to see if I can find a Rat Fink figurine of my own. I wonder if he also protects carports...
Doc here,

Dudes!

I too grew up in the bay area..Oakland to be specific...and (Shhhh! we don't want this to get out..Alameda)

My reign of terror began probably , slightly a little before your time..The mid 60's...When it was "ALL GOOD"!

During that time AM radio was King, and FM didn't exist..and yes kiddies..you could hear it at night (PM) also,.....KEWB, Oakland, was the station of the day...Ballads ... Do Wop...Motown...The girl groups...and Surfer dudes...

This was back when radio was for fun and NOT a business..We of course had KYA and KFRC..AND there was another down in San Jose ( I can't remember the call letters just now..Old-timers disease..Endorphin Misfires..) <---Swigs down some Dopamine...Ahh..KLOK Radio....!

My cruise days were when E~14 th was the be~there or be square every Saturday night for most of California...Then the cruise actually started around 66 th ave in Oakland..and went through San Leandro to the turn~around spot at 150 th ave..and sometimes extended into Hayward(For you non natives..that's two major population city's)Took about 2 to 3 hours to make one circuit ... and usually a tank of gas per pass..

We normally did the cruise after we got kicked out of Fremont raceway on the way back ..(since it was right on the way...) Not so unusual to arrive about 10 PM and go until 4 AM or longer...If you wanted to check the local talent, and party..you COULD do as we did, pull in the old White Front lot on 150 th ave and watch the babes as they made the circuit..and that usually ended up with a percentage pulling in and partying with you...

If you scored..You went to Tampax Flats in the Oakland Hills with your new Conquest....High up in the Redwood Regionals at the junction of Redwood Road and Skyline Road..

Just to add a little excitement to the evening ..grudge race DOWN skyline Road..The catch you say?? No Headlights..you locals may remember..the street had Curb lights about every 50 feet..At 130 MPH..become a straight line of light..( and We actually survived that period?)

1/4 pound on High street in Oakland was one hang out, (Hide out..for street racers being sought by OPD's finest..) The other MAJOR hang was Kwik~Way on lakeshore ave..(And we all wonder why we suffer IBS not at our ancient age..more grease than a Simas brothers lube bay..Remember those ? rent the rack for 25 cents an hour?) where ALL the Car clubs came before and after the cruise..

Since then, I have never been out of Cars and Radio and TV broadcasting..Even though , The USMC got in the way,and after..had to go earn a living..I retired from the Airlines at 38..and turned all my part time endeavors to full time .. and since I've always owned a Corvette since I was 17 stuck with that end of the industry..and Street rods..Ones that have no right to exist in nature..like the ones I built as a kid...

Some of us never grow up...

You local guys will be saddened to hear within the last month, KFRC has changed formats..To 80's stuff...they sound like K101 now..the times they be ~a~changing..The last vestige of Oldies radio is now gone from the bay area..(unless I decide to open one myself..fat chance of getting an FCC allocation here, in the FM band anymore!)

Anyways, thanks for bring me back to and putting up with my brief walk down memory lane! Hope it brought you (local guys) back to a better time too..gas wars...19 cents a gallon, S&H green stamps with every fill..windshield, battery and oil, water and tires checked every time..Cruising was LEGAL not Vehicular loitering....$3.00 a gallon and everyone knew you were going to paint the house this year..Oil came in a 1 qt GLASS bottle ..pumped from the lube bay tanks..

Enough already!

Thanks Guys!

Doc
Old 11-06-2005, 04:00 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Garage God

Would´nt be without some kind of protection, this guy hangs in the corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage_protection.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	7699  

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.