Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - garage heater
Thread: garage heater
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
good point
I kinda feel like all the heaters, if in the same room, should be shut off while spraying
or you may have the kind of flame job you didnt want

I realize you have to be careful, but I have sprayed with an open flame heater in the same building....and I didn't die

What I did was build a spray booth with heavy mil plastic. It was from floor to roof. I also built a boost exhaust fan that pulled air from the booth out of my roll up door. I am in the country so I got away without a big "green" exhaust system. I installed an A/C filter in the top rear of the spray both with lots of packing tape.

When I painted, I heated the entire shop for a couple of hours so everything including the car was up to temperature. Then I cracked the exterior door outside the booth and kept the heater running. Once I was ready to paint I kicked on the exhaust fan which drew warm air from the rest of the shop into the booth and with the heater on high it was able to help preheat the "fresh air" coming in the cracked entry door.

Now, this will work if the outside temp is not too cold and if you dont have alot to paint at one time. What I was doing was painting in pieces.

It is redneck engineering, but it worked. My heater is a 40,000btu forced air propane heater and it does pretty well in a 1200 ft shop.