garage heater - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TurboS10 said:
"I realize you have to be careful, but I have sprayed with an open flame heater in the same building....and I didn't die"

Give it a chance, you may yet. I didn't fall off a 12 foot roof for the first 75 years of my life.......but I did 28 days ago and it hurt. I am slowly recovering, thank you. As for the unvented propane heater, turn it off when spraying. This from an old natural gas co. employee and retired Firefighter who has seen may unnecessary injuries and deaths. Even my "accident" could have been avoided.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

I installed a used f/a natural gas furnace I purchased from A&M heating . I added a small furnace room (4'x4') on the exterior of the garage.

(if you do not have NG, then convert the burner to LP and set up a 100 gallon tank.)

It is installed as a 100% loss system, there is no cold air return from the heated area. I did it this way so I could keep positive pressure in the room. I exhaust the air through a filtered man door opening.

I have considered putting a return duct between the furnace room and the garage for just heating in cold weather. I would put a sealed door on this opening so I could close it for painting.

$100 for the furnace
A friend in the industry supplied the duct work.
$200 for the furnace room materials.

I hope this might give someone an idea how to heat their garage/shop/spray booth cheaply. (well as cheap as energy costs these days )
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
I added a small furnace room (4'x4') on the exterior of the garage.

It is installed as a 100% loss system, there is no cold air return from the heated area. I did it this way so I could keep positive pressure in the room. I exhaust the air through a filtered man door opening.

I have considered putting a return duct between the furnace room and the garage for just heating in cold weather. I would put a sealed door on this opening so I could close it for painting.

I hope this might give someone an idea how to heat their garage/shop/spray booth cheaply. (well as cheap as energy costs these days )
this sounds like a nice set up
Quote:
I have considered putting a return duct between the furnace room and the garage for just heating in cold weather. I would put a sealed door on this opening so I could close it for painting
sounds like a very good $$$ saving plan
Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
I installed a used f/a natural gas furnace I purchased from A&M heating . I added a small furnace room (4'x4') on the exterior of the garage.

(if you do not have NG, then convert the burner to LP and set up a 100 gallon tank.)

Best one yet! I like keeping furnaces and compressors away from my work area when possible.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

I should have mentioned I installed this setup for painting.
The rest of the time the garage is heated by a 40k btu NG unit heater with thermostat set at 45f unless I am working out there.

The unit heater can be seen in the photo with the duct work, it is to the right side of the duct work.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Last journal entry: 41 chevy frame on the move.
Last photo:

Garage heating

I borrowed a 13'000 btu oil fired/hot air furnace from a building that was being torn down .That was 12yrs ago .But anyway this is what I use.It's nice because when it's cold(northeast) I set the thermostat for 50 degree's' .Garage stays nice and warm.I put iol in the tank when I fill my house.Nicest thing is when I want to work on a project I just turn up the thermostat to 60degree's and with in 10min I in a tee shirt.My garage is 24'x30' with 10' ceilings.6" walls insulated and sheeted.So it also depends how good you insulation is.Thats what I have to offer. Stay warm,
stefanP

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.