Garage Heaters - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Just a thought here, metal prices fluctuate greatly with needs across the world. At this time prices are fairly low and stable, rumors of another price increase abound. Buy this while prices are decent, maybe look into this a little further to be sure that my sources aren't blowing smoke.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
What's the difference? You did your homework by finding this in a search, the thread has good info to start you up, and now you have a question. I say you've done everything right. It's not like it's an old thread where the guy is looking for lug nut bearings for his 1987 Maxwell and it was posted 8 years ago. Now let's see an answer, anyone? Dan

Thanks I wasn't sure what kind of replies I would get I know some people in forums can't stand it when a post is dug up form the grave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

thanks for all the help so far guys, what thickness is everyone using?

this is great news because my garage has insulation in it and the vapor barrier is on the walls and when I heard about this metal idea I thought it was genius!

I would assume you guys are priming and painting this metal also? or are you just using stainless?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Stainless would be very $$$
The Lowes, Home Depots, farm supply among others sell pre-finished metal for pole barns, metal buildings, etc and would be more cost effective. There are online sources also.

Roam around this site: http://www.mbci.com/productCatalog.html for ideas.

Last edited by 1ownerT; 02-03-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks for all the help so far guys, what thickness is everyone using?

this is great news because my garage has insulation in it and the vapor barrier is on the walls and when I heard about this metal idea I thought it was genius!

I would assume you guys are priming and painting this metal also?
Ayuh,... Steel roofin'/ siding man...
All painted, just screw it up....
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Heat with pellet stove

I recently put a wood pellet stove in my house. It is an old house, without central heat. The house was heated by a wood stove, in the living room, that my dad put a "not quite to code" natural gas burner in. I turned off the natural gas, it was unsafe. Very unsafe.
I have a horse boarding stable, and I was putting old fence boards inside one of the stalls to keep them dry, for firewood. The old boards ran out in mid November. I started to buy fire wood, that I would have to haul, then split, and then take in to the house, to burn.

I originally looked into replacing the wood stove with a modern natural gas stove, with code approved plumbing, but that would have required having a plumbing contractor come in, extensive modifications to the chimney, and the contractor to come in and install the stove, cost estimate around $4000.00.

I then started to look into a pellet stove. A pellet stove would not require gas line plumbing into the stove. I could just hook the exhaust of the pellet stove into the existing chimney.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

The pellet stove was pretty easy to install. It is thermostatically controlled, and will go on by itself, without being lit, as long as it has pellets in it. It will hold about 60 pounds of pellets.

The total cost for the stove, and the accessories I needed to install it was about $2022.00 I have used about $220.00 in pellets, since 12/26/2010, and this was wrote on 02/03/2011. It has cost about $6.00 a day to run the pellet stove.

When I bought the stove, I picked it up myself, and also brought home 1000 pounds of pellets. I made one trip to buy another 2000 pounds of pellets in mid January, and that may last until the end of February, depending on the weather.

The pellet stove need a little maintenance. You have to clean out clinkers out of the fire pot every few days, and vacuum out the interior of the stove about once a week. there is a little more work, above that, but the cost to run the pellet stove is about the same as I was paying for firewood, in the old wood stove. And I do not have to buy wood, and split it every few days. The pellet stove runs all through the night, with out having to put more wood in it.

The pellet stove I got is rated to put out 8,000 to 30,000 BTUs/hour. It is rated to burn 1.5 to 4 pounds of pellets per hour. In addition to the thermostat control, it has a three speed switch for the feed rate of the pellets. It has a way of hooking up outside air to the combustion process, but in no way would I consider it explosion proof.

The Pellet stove cannot put a huge amount of heat in a short period of time, but if you turn it on early in the morning, It might be a good economical alternative to other sources of heat for a garage. The thermostat is just an on-off switch, and it would be very easy to get a thermostat with a timer that could turn on the stove early in the morning so the garage is warm when you want to work in it.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

insulate, insulate, calk

When my wife built her cinder block 4 car garage at the Farm she super insulated, insulation fill for the cores in the block , no windows, insulated doors, Her late husband's brother owned an insulation company , she was up in the attic running the hose, her kids were supposed to be in the garage to relay info to the guy in the truck. When she got it 3 ft high she yelled fot the kids to have it stop. they had left and gone in the house, She got the whole truck load, about 5 ft high before the truck ran out of bags, She thought she would be smothered before she could dig out the access hole. That garage has a gas furnace and is nice to work in,
Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Hardware Man

Last photo:

I just have a oil furnace in the corner. it draws air in the top and blows heat across the garage floor!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.