Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   garage interior wall paint (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-interior-wall-paint-51778.html)

61wagonair 11-12-2004 08:34 PM

garage interior wall paint

just about done drywalling the inside of my new garage. im gonna prime it and then paint it. what kind of paint is best for the walls and ceiling? ive been told to use Exteror paint on the walls in the garage because its more durable than latex. i just want to use whatever is best. anyone have any information on this???

thanks.

rick1956 11-12-2004 09:06 PM

Latex means water-based. Do you mean using semi-gloss or satin instead of flat?

Or do mean using enamel (oil based) instead of latex?

I would go with satin latex myself...little or no shine, but nice and smooth...easy to clean (god forbid...it's a garage remember?)

Latex paints are great these days. The only reason to ever go with enamel nowadays is if you're painting over metal that the water-based latex will rust.

In order of shine/smooth:

Gloss
Semi-Gloss
Satin
Flat

Rick

MI2600 11-12-2004 09:15 PM

I used a Sears brand, semi-gloss, white exterior latex.

It cleans up good...in spite of the funky atmoshpere that it has been exposed to over the years.

Canadian Charlie 11-13-2004 02:47 PM

I used regular indoor water paint on my walls. I painted the lower 4 feet dark gray and the upper portion white

adtkart 11-13-2004 07:03 PM

In my last garage I used white semi gloss latex. It was durable, easy to clean, and also helped with lighting. With the white semi gloss, it reflected the light so good, that I regularly worked out there with no lights on, or most of them off. I am considering painting the ceiling of this garage with gloss white to reduce lighting needs.

Chopper64 11-23-2004 08:37 AM

I used to be a painter and we used a latex garage paint made by Benjamin Moore that you could put over unsealed/primed drywall. It was an off white, covered great and only took one coat. Mission white was the color and it came in 5 gallon buckets. My only problem with it would be it's too flat a paint for a working garage as satins or semi-gloss clean up better and I also like a bright white over an off white for garage.

4 Jaw Chick 11-24-2004 02:32 PM

Whatever you decide to go with (and I would choose the semi-gloss;) ) you do want to be sure it's easy to clean. You never know when something is going to break loose and spray coolant or tranny fluid or whatever all over the place. You want to be sure you can wipe it off pretty easy. And anything that makes a dingy garage look brighter is good.:D

Chickie.