Garage to many $$$ build a tarp tent - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Garage to many $$$ build a tarp tent

I needed a work space couldn't afford to build a garage so what I came up whith is a 14 x 25 ft building constucted of 2x3 trusses spaced 2 feet apart with stapping spaced 1 feet going cross the trusses to tie them together. on one end I constucted a end wall with two large swing out doors that give me about a 12 foot opening. for wind braceing I used 2x4 running at 45 on the corners. after it was framed in I took 1 tarp that was 30x40 pulled it over the top nailed 1 side then pulled it as tight as possible then nailed the other side. for the back I used a 10x20 tarp. I spent appox. $500 on the building the best part was you do not need a building permit were I live because it classified as a tempory build because its made of tarps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home 003.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	24230  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

Here in Michigan. There are quite a few similar buildngs being done. Most use a solid foundation. Pole building style. Then use hoop type truss with some of the new tarp materials over them. Most of these fabrics are gauranteed for 25 years.

Farmers love them. Township zoning people absolutly HATE them..
Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Man I have so many zoning laws where I live at,I can not even park a car in my front yard if I have a cookout.When I do build my garage,it has to be bricked in the same style and color brick as my house.It does keep it from getting run down looking though.I have to park my work truck past my front porch so that the company name is not seen or the number exposed.If it parks out front,the decals have to be covered.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

I tried the tarp for a roof thing years back when I ran out of money while building a stable. The rain water collected in the spaces between the trusses and the straps no matter how tight the tarp was pulled. Of course, that roof had a very low pitch so hopefully you won't encounter that problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

just keep an eye on the snow in the winter, the temp shelter i made for my car (BEFORE) i painted it didnt do so well, you can see it in my project journal, and even with the new portable garage i have now you have to keep up with the snow so it doesnt pull the fabric down between the support bars.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
Man I have so many zoning laws where I live at,I can not even park a car in my front yard if I have a cookout.When I do build my garage,it has to be bricked in the same style and color brick as my house.It does keep it from getting run down looking though.I have to park my work truck past my front porch so that the company name is not seen or the number exposed.If it parks out front,the decals have to be covered.
Wow! That's rough, but my girls neighbor is almost as bad. Heck, I may not even be able to park in her driveway with my T! The whole neighborhood looks like a Mercedes/Lexus dealership!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.