Garage Paint Booth (not for exterior work) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Garage Paint Booth (not for exterior work)

So I've been reading a lot of the posts on the forum about setting up your garage for paint. The problem is, for all these posts, it seems like everyone is painting their whole car. I won't be (at least not right now). My purposes will be replacing rusted metal, welidng, sanding/grinding, epoxy priming to protect. Depending on the area, I might paint or use another product for full protection. I plan on waiting until I have a somewhat decent area to cover (like, when I finish the firewall/toeboards, spray that whole area). I plan to use SPI epoxy black.

So the questions are 1) what type of respirator filters do I need and 2) does the plastic/fan/filters setup need to be as serious as some of these other setups? Any advise for my type of spraying would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by my66coupe
So I've been reading a lot of the posts on the forum about setting up your garage for paint. The problem is, for all these posts, it seems like everyone is painting their whole car. I won't be (at least not right now). My purposes will be replacing rusted metal, welidng, sanding/grinding, epoxy priming to protect. Depending on the area, I might paint or use another product for full protection. I plan on waiting until I have a somewhat decent area to cover (like, when I finish the firewall/toeboards, spray that whole area). I plan to use SPI epoxy black.

So the questions are 1) what type of respirator filters do I need and 2) does the plastic/fan/filters setup need to be as serious as some of these other setups? Any advise for my type of spraying would be appreciated.
The main and most important thing is to use a respirator made specifically for organic vapors and wear it at all times that there are fumes or uncured paint. If you can smell the paint while you are spraying, you have the wrong respirator, or it is not sealed to your face. Keep the respirator in a sealed plastic bag when not in use to preserve the cartridge . The outer felt filter will need replaced fairly often. Shut off any heaters when painting as the fumes are explosive . There are two reasons for the plastic . One is to keep dust and dirt out and the other is to keep overspray off of everything in your garage. I did paint my T-bucket in my 12 x 22 garage with no ventilation just using the proper respirator. I was using my old siphon feed gun and the fumes got so thick that I couldn't see by the time I got all around the car . So how serious about the plastic and ventilation you want to get depends on you. If there was any way I could have ventilated my garage in Feb without it getting too cold to paint I would have. Cover all exposed skin and use cold cream on your face to make it easier to clean up .Remember to get the best respirator you can afford and I can't stress too strongly that if you can smell the vapors, get out immediately and check your respirator . There is no cure for organic vapor poisoning ! !
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

I got a $30 3M half face respirator from home depot. Not sure if it says paint or not. Could I just get the right filters and swap out the ones in there?

I'll probably put a fan in the plastic just for a little ventilation, I just wanted to know if I needed to get as serious as some of these guys. I'm not as concerned about it being perfect as I am about it adhering and protecting. I would have put plastic around the whole garage anyway to protect stuff and I'll probably have an exhaust hole at the door with an air filter so no paint particles get on the cars outside. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
I got a $30 3M half face respirator from home depot. Not sure if it says paint or not. Could I just get the right filters and swap out the ones in there?
The first thing you need to do is READ the labels on the materials you're spraying and heed them! Many newer automotive paint products contain isocyanates, which require a supplied air breathing system to avoid permanent lung damage. Do not risk your life with a cheap respirator.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:

I'll probably put a fan in the plastic just for a little ventilation, I just wanted to know if I needed to get as serious as some of these guys. I'm not as concerned about it being perfect as I am about it adhering and protecting. I would have put plastic around the whole garage anyway to protect stuff and I'll probably have an exhaust hole at the door with an air filter so no paint particles get on the cars outside. Thanks for the help.
If it is a cartridge type respirator you can get the cartridges for organic vapors . As I said before, If you can smell the paint vapors, you have the wrong cartridges. The cartridges MUST say, "for organic vapors" . Allan
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

Also remember thos e cartridges in the respirator are only good for 48 hours operating time, sealing them in a bag extends the time. A fan in the plastic is a good idea, but needs to have an explosion proof motor, otherwise you are runnng the risk of a spark setting off the vapors.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

plastic/fans... how serious you want to go depends on how good a paint job you want and how hard you're willing to work. There have been quite nice paint jobs done in a back yard under a tarp, but cleaning up the inevitable crap that gets into the paint ends up a lot of work, and you have to get lucky. If your neighbor starts mowing the lawn in the middle of it there is not much you can do to save it.

I do a lot of smaller stuff (up to the size of a hood or so, I've also painted large compressor tanks...) out the back door of my basement under my deck. The deck gives me cover from most airborn shmutz, a place to hang things... and the wood mulch under it holds moisure and keeps dust down (though I set stuff up on a couple of pallets (nice large computer/networking equipment pallets with flat plywood surfaces) or stands, so not only is there a few feet between it and the ground, but that there is a clean, flat surface that blocks any air from the gun from kicking up any dirt. It works fine for this kind of stuff, I rarely have problems with bugs/dust and since it's open on 2 sides (deck stairs on the third, foundation wall on the fourth) it's sheltered enough but I don't really have any problems with fumes (and the wife doesn't complain about them getting into the house, like she has when I used to do this kind of stuff in the garage).

I'll spray single part stuff like old school enamel out there with minimum protection (still wear a mask if it's more than a couple of seconds of spraying, but don't bother shaving my beard... like I would if I was doing it in a proper booth or with more serious stuff). Not sure if an all out bunny suit would be necessary out there even with some nasty stuff, but I'm not going to recommend against it.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Not a bad idea to use under the deck. I'll have to think about that. Most of what I'm painting won't (hopefully) see the light of day again. Once I get the floors/toeboards in I want to paint them. When I replace the cowl, I'll paint the insde of that, etc. If I do exterior paint, it will most likely be sanded off before the real paint job.

I talked with my dad we think we'll get some tarps and set up a curtain system in the garage using magnets glued/taped along the edges to "seal" it. I'll definitely put a fan or two in there to keep visibility and help some with the fumes.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

BTW, I love the whole explosive fumes idea... sure, it's possible, but by the time you got enough solvents in the air for it to happen (and it's not the stuff that you see that's explosive, so that's no indication of how bad it is), you would have been long dead unless you were in there carrying an oxygen supply. If you're in there breathing with a standard filter respirator for more than a few minutes and still standing your fan will not make you go boom...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
BTW, I love the whole explosive fumes idea... sure, it's possible, but by the time you got enough solvents in the air for it to happen (and it's not the stuff that you see that's explosive, so that's no indication of how bad it is), you would have been long dead unless you were in there carrying an oxygen supply. If you're in there breathing with a standard filter respirator for more than a few minutes and still standing your fan will not make you go boom...
Just the fact that it IS possible is enough to be cautious . Back in the '70's , a maintenance foreman, at the surface mine that I was a mechanic at, told one of the mechanics to use propane to chill a bearing . Mind you that this was in a shop that was 150' wide by more than 450' long with a 40' ceiling . When one of the wall heaters kicked on BOOOM . The mechanic became instantly hairless and even his safety glasses frames were melted . Lucky that he wasn't killed ! BTW . Later this same foreman showed another mechanic how to thaw out a frozen air starter with a can of starting fluid and a BIC lighter ! We soon got propane torches for thawing starters and liquid nitrogen for freezing bearings and had to stand guard over the liquid nitrogen when it was in use to keep an idiot from sticking his fingers in it since it looked like water . Seriously thought I was going to have to deck a guy to save his hand. He did not want to believe what it was that I was standing guard over. Sorry about hijacking the thread . I just thought that this was interesting enough to share.....Allan
Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

That's propane which is significantly different (it's heavier, tends to gather in low spots... it's significantly easier to get a high enough concentration without suffocating yourself). OTOH, that and that's just plain stupid, I'm betting it was one of those people that swears by washing grease off his hands with gasoline?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I know a guy who set his new kitchen cabinets ablaze because he forgot to cut the pilot light on the water heater when spraying the finish on the cabinets. He just stepped out of the room when it went.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
That's propane which is significantly different (it's heavier, tends to gather in low spots... it's significantly easier to get a high enough concentration without suffocating yourself). OTOH, that and that's just plain stupid, I'm betting it was one of those people that swears by washing grease off his hands with gasoline?
Well I did see him try to start a flooded engine by putting straight oxygen from a cutting torch down the intake. I have never seen such a ball of fire and heard such a boom . The engine never did start that day and I never heard if it ever did run again. The mine had a policy that if you were able to drive it to work we would do all we could so that you could drive it home. That was one time that it didn't work out too well. BTW We did have a mechanic that washed his hands everyday in the parts cleaning tank with a wire brush . I wonder if he got chemical poisoning . Hmmmmm.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.