Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Garage paint job
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 05:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First paint job......... HELP

I know some of this info is in the Knowledge base, but i really would like some help from you guys on this issue. I have checked around most of the paint shops around here (in Denmark) and a complete once over repaint costs about 12000 danish kroners (about 2000 US $) and a little more if you want a colour change and metallic paint.

there is no way i am paying that for a paintjob, unless its absolutely the only way! I would like to paint my 32 ford hot rod my self (metallic green with pear-essence and clear) but i am not a very accomplished painter (ive never paintet anything larger than an engine) I have plenty of room in my shop, even to make a makeshift paintbooth. there is drain in the floor so i can wet the floor down to avoid dust, and my compressor is 4Hp and has a 50 gallon tank (i bought it used) and is oil free

now i have done some bodywork on my daily driver (a diesel 2wd toyota PU, (wow!!)) and i figured i could practice painting that before i f#cked up my hot rod... The local paint suppleir can set me up with PU based paint, low bake hardner and low temp thinner. and s component base, and silicone remover.

i just have no idea how to do it....

do i sand the entire car first (and if so wont it show through the paint??) do i paint wet in wet, or wait for it to dry. and how long between coats?? what paints are easiest to work with? what air pressure do i use. is a 60$ paint gun good enough?? how do i prevent solvent pop?

The pickup is white and has blue interior, what colour is best to apply for learning purposes (it will be the only practice ill get before doint the hot rod)

please, any help will be much appreshiated

Last edited by deuce_454; 01-25-2004 at 12:14 PM.