Garage porting cylinder heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Schoust's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ct.
Posts: 149
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage porting cylinder heads

Hey Guy's I bought a set of heads that are non number matching but appear to be exactly the same with the exception of the fact the one head appears to have been {max ported}by the previous owner. The guy told me that he had many,many hours into the head and that he had started on the other head but never finished. Now I have them and would like to try and finish the porting. My question is what would be the best way to go about doing this? Should I use air powered tools for this? I have a 90 degree grinder /spot sander that can be used but will I need the straight grinder to get the job done? Also I have been looking at the kit that Eastwood sells but heard that you really do not need this type kit and would be better served with a few specific bit's? I want to try and match the first head but I want to do it right. So any help Guy's would be appreciated!
Thanks

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 28
Posts: 8,601
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 273 Times in 255 Posts
To get started you need something to measure it all with and draw up some templates. For tools you'll need an electric grinder, some bits, some 60 reglite cartridge rolls, mandrels, machinist's dye, rheostat, that's about it.

If you use harbor freight tools and some decet carbide bits, you're looking at about $125 for the tools and such, and about 20 hours in work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust
I bought a set of heads that are non number matching but appear to be exactly the same with the exception of the fact the one head appears to have been {max ported}by the previous owner.
Give some serious thought to having the finished head flowed to see whether there's anything there that you want to duplicate in the first place.

Many times, a porting job can look fabulous, yet flow like a backed up toilet.

BTW, what are the casting #'s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,656
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 399 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust
Hey Guy's I bought a set of heads that are non number matching but appear to be exactly the same with the exception of the fact the one head appears to have been {max ported}by the previous owner. The guy told me that he had many,many hours into the head and that he had started on the other head but never finished. Now I have them and would like to try and finish the porting. My question is what would be the best way to go about doing this? Should I use air powered tools for this? I have a 90 degree grinder /spot sander that can be used but will I need the straight grinder to get the job done? Also I have been looking at the kit that Eastwood sells but heard that you really do not need this type kit and would be better served with a few specific bit's? I want to try and match the first head but I want to do it right. So any help Guy's would be appreciated!
Thanks
AP 72 has it nailed.

Stick with an electric grinder, it takes a whale of a compressor to run an air driven die grinder. A 6 horse Craftsman ain't gonna cut it.

Pay attention to cobalt327's cold water, this isn't a place where random and large cuts make it better. Get a copy of David Vizards book How to Build & Modify Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Cylinder Heads It'll make you a lot smarter on the subject in less time than it takes to screw up a set of heads. Though as heads go the SBC's are pretty forgiving of screw ups, not ideal, but forgiving.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 PM
1BAD80's Avatar
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
 
Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,423
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There are a few articles on DYI in the Knowledge Base on this site.

http://www.hotrodders.com/kb/cylinder-head-articles
__________________
Luv the smell of NITRO in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Schoust's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ct.
Posts: 149
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know I think that is a good idea Cobalt I think I will get it flowed the last thing I want to do is put a ton a time into this only to find that the things does not flow much at all. What Vortehc castings are the good ones? I will start looking for them. As far as the numbers go we talked about this a while back on another thread and we were not able to figure out what they were? What other casting's will work good that I might find while hunting the yard or Flea Bay??
Thanks Guy's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust
You know I think that is a good idea Cobalt I think I will get it flowed the last thing I want to do is put a ton a time into this only to find that the things does not flow much at all. What Vortehc castings are the good ones? I will start looking for them. As far as the numbers go we talked about this a while back on another thread and we were not able to figure out what they were? What other casting's will work good that I might find while hunting the yard or Flea Bay??
Thanks Guy's
The only "bad" Vortec's are ones that are cracked, badly warped or otherwise unusable. The casting numbers are 10239906 (casting has one large single hump on the end of the head) and 12558062 (casting has 3 small humps, aka sawtooth).

Don't believe it if you hear that 906 castings have bad exhaust seats or ports, or flow poorly- it's not true. Those heads might have hardened seats w/a lip where the seat and head interface. This can be easily smoothed and the heads will then flow basically the same.

A LOT of info on Vortec heads and mods to them, etc. is HERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cylinder heads SBF BadMonkey Engine 5 04-12-2009 12:30 PM
Ported Cylinder Heads? sixty9santa Engine 55 02-06-2009 07:36 AM
Porting BBC heads - q's (pics) fire_hawk108 Engine 3 04-25-2008 10:55 PM
twin cylinder heads Terry411 Engine 4 09-17-2004 07:33 PM
Which Spark Plug Suffix on 333882 Cylinder Heads? FBody Engine 3 09-08-2004 09:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.