Garage Safety - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
428- Believe me I know what you are talking about and these guys who think they are superman had better listen now as they may not be able to "listen" to ANYTHING a lot sooner than they think. Guys just try and imagine a terrible ringing in your ears that you will take to your grave. If you hear even a slight ringing or a sound sort of like crickets now when you are in in a quite room then you are already well on your way. You may think my description is funny right now but when you start to hear these sounds over top of everyday noise and find that you have trouble understanding what people are saying to you it will become VERY serious to you but you wont be able to do a damn thing to cure it. THE TIME IS NOW! A loud stereo may seem "cool" to you but I guarantee a hearing aid wont!
Just as oldschoolrods said, thank you. I don't have a boom-boom bling-bling system in my car, just a factory cd player... but when I took classes in auto body we didn't use earplugs, that noise drove me seriously nuts. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWW!!!!!!!!!! the grinding was like... most of the other guys didn't use gloves, I didn't want to kill my hand so I used gloves, but, dang it, they needed face shields too. I think the only thing where they were really as safe as possible was regarding paint.

In the autobody class, I had a habit of also wearing a face mask; the kind that look like a white bowl that covers the nose/mouth whenever I was out in the shop area to keep bondo dust out of my system , and I was teased that "the mask kept me from sucking their (I cannot fininsh this but you guys get the point)" . Oddly enough I had a girlfriend at the time . I showed them pics and they were like "oh man that's your sister".

When I went to the teachers about it, they'd just talk to the offending peoples, and do nothing about it. After a semester of encountering these people every day, I ended up getting into a fight with one of those jerks who shot me "accidentally" with a power washer. They transferred me to accounting.

A couple of guys in that class were pretty cool though.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 02:42 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

safety

well technically i don't have a garage yet but Ive got more safety proceedures than i could possibly list being tuff could cost you big time!!!
the right tool for the job always . think the job all the way through (or as far as you can) organization and procedures will help (a place for every thing & every things in a place) time don't rush .
well i pretty much work alone because i have so many procedures but im not superman i cant to everything by my self (although i try to)
be safe & good luck
slowride 66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-29-2005, 05:26 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

re: PVC pipe for compressed air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
This is a topic that has come up numerous times and prety much seems to be a no win on either side. I have ALWAYS heard plastic piping is a no no. I have read where plastic has shattered sending sharp fragments in every direction. Now whether the temperature has anything to do with it I don't know but would thing it a factor. Especially considering that you are going from inside to outside back to inside. If you do not want to bite the bullet and replace everything right now, I would at least replace your drops with something more substantial. That way if it (and it may not) decides to go it will be shielded from human contact. Then you could replace what went bad. But what you have running up one wall and down the other I would replace just for the safety aspect.

Kevin
I think you heard right. From http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHA
SUBJECT: Safety Hazard Information Bulletin on
the Use of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Pipe
in Above ground Installations

The Dallas Regional Office has brought to our attention a potential serious hazard existing with the use of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic pipes for transporting compressed gases in above ground installations. An employee in a Texas plant was injured recently by a rupture in a PVC compressed air line. Plastic projectiles from the point of rupture caused lacerations of the employee's hand. This is noteworthy because the Plastic Pipe Institute, in its Recommendation B dated January 19, 1972, recommends against the use of thermoplastic pipe to transport compressed air or other compressed gases in exposed plant piping. (See attachment.)

Furthermore, sections 842.32, 842.43 and 849.52(b) of the American National Standards Institute/American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ANSI/ASME) B31.8-1986, Gas Transmission and Distribution Piping Systems Standard, limit the operating pressure of plastic piping distribution systems to 100 pounds per inch (psi) and prohibit the installation of such systems above ground except where ". . . the above ground portion of the plastic service line is completely enclosed in a conduit or casing of sufficient strength to provide protection from external damage and deterioration." (Excerpts attached.)

Additional consensus standards applicable to PVC compressed gas systems include American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) D1785-86, Standard Specification for Polyvinyl Chloride Plastic Pipe, Schedules 40, 80, and 120, and ASTM D2513-86a, Standard Specification for Thermoplastic Gas Pressure Piping Systems.
There is a lot more information at that URL. It all boils down to "prohibited", though.

BTW, shouldn't this thread be a "sticky" in the Garage forum?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Lightbulb Added to Hotrodders Knowledge Base

This discussion has been added to the Garage - Tools Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

--For the main page of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For more information on the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For information on becoming a Hotrodders Knowledge Base Editor, click here.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.