garage/shop ceiling fan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

garage/shop ceiling fan

Im going to put some ceiling fans in my garage for some airflow and hopefully some more light. Ive been searching around lowes and menards and I see a lot of "industrial" fans but none of them have any lights. Would a regular housefan work? Im curious about the motors of regular house fans if they spark or not since I do paintwork out there i dont feel like blowing up.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1460 View Post
Im going to put some ceiling fans in my garage for some airflow and hopefully some more light. Ive been searching around lowes and menards and I see a lot of "industrial" fans but none of them have any lights. Would a regular housefan work? Im curious about the motors of regular house fans if they spark or not since I do paintwork out there i dont feel like blowing up.
That's what i have in mine , when i changed mine out in my house i moved the old one's to the garage and works just fine.

Cole
Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I just re-read your post hummm i do some paint work out in mine also haven't had a blow up yet, but that may depend on just how much paint you have flying around too. you should be able to get a light kit for better safety for a industrial style fan i would think. JMO

Cole
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Im thinking too, I have 3 stalls and want 3 fans, the ceiling fan wont be running in the paintbooth stall anyway... I guess Ill go with 3 house style fans. even though they dont have the light output that id like... none that I have seen so far anyway. They do look nice tho
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I can't imagine any kind of fan-mounted "light" putting out enough usable light for a garage or shop...

Russ
Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
I can't imagine any kind of fan-mounted "light" putting out enough usable light for a garage or shop...

Russ
Ditto. Most of the light fixtures will have a "MAX 60W" sticker on them.

I have an infra-red heater and 2 "industrial" fans running in my 24x34 garage. The intended purpose of the fans is to help to get that warmed air into the "shadows" and to keep the garage windows clear.

Those fans run (at low speed) 24/7 from October to April ... and I'm a little dubious whether household fans would stand up to that kind of use.

I'm also thinking that they might be awfully noisy attached to a rheostat?
I mean most of the household variety have a pull-chain (low, med, high) to control fan speed, whereas the "industrial" variety are infinitely adjustable with the rheostat.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Max 60W relates to the current draw. You can put 100W equivlant CFL's in place and there only going to draw 25W.. multiply that by 3 or 4 lights per fixture and you can get some serious bright light.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Right now I just have single bulb fixtures. Some of the fans ive seen have 3 bulbs in them which would have to be a little better because Im getting by fine with the single bulbs. I have the top half of my garage painted gloss white which reflects a lot of light. I usually have a separate light plugged in anyway..

In my last house, which i had bought from my brother, who had bought it from my parents. The house was in our famlly for 35 years... there was a ceiling fan in the bedroom that had never been changed out since my parents put it in in the 70s and was still running strong. my fans in my house run non stop also. There relatively cheap, the ones im interested in at lowes are 120 each, even if they only ran for 4-5 years id say id have my moneys worth...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mach1460 For This Useful Post:
Jano (07-12-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Last photo:

Home ceiling fans have induction motors and as such do not produce sparks like a brushed motor would. The switches however are a different story. Every time you turn one on or off you produce a spark in the switch. I have several converted AC air handling unit fans that move a tremendous amount of air.

Vince
Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

My only concern would be grinding dust/welding fumes, which leave conductive deposits and anything vented tends to eventually die (CFL bulbs have vented ballasts and eventually die, but I've replaced my individual bulb fixtures with 2x2 42W CFLs, and found that the big ones seem to last longer). House ceiling fans will probably fail with that kind of use. I used to have a house just normal oscillating fan in my garage that worked till I turned it off, then the crud built up in it prevented it from ever restarting.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.