Hot Rod Forum banner

Garage size

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
Well. I'm divorced, the house is sold, I'm moved out of the old house and into another. The new house was a foreclosure, it didn't have a garage so the bank built one. A single car garage that's not big enough for a single car. I knew this going in.

So I get the opportunity to build a garage. I'm limitted to 22x22 or 20x24 due to size limits, and the tallest point on the roof has to be 15' or less. I intend to have either a 10' or 12' interior height so I can put a 4 post lift on one side.

What works best, 22x22 or 20x24 - and if 20x24, do I want the extra width on the side of my cars or the extra length at the end of the cars?

I'll be working on 1955 Mercurys. Here's overall size dimensions:
1955 Mercury Montclair 4.2 specifications
which shows a pic of a 1956, which would be the same body anyway, but lists engine specs from 1954. But overall size dimensions seem to match what I remember.

Overall length: 5250 mm (206.7 inches)
Overall width: 1950 mm (76.8 inches)
Overall height: 1490 mm (58.7 inches)
Wheelbase: 2980 mm (117.3 inches)

Other major equipment that will be in the garage will be sand blast cabinet, parts cleaner, 80 gallon compressor, Miller portable GMAW.

See less See more
#2 ·
20 x 24. Go for the extra length. Put in a 16' door and bias the lift to one side or the other so you have just enough room to open the door on the "close" side. This will also give you enough room to walk or work on the close side.
You will only get one car at a time in this garage with a lift bolted in there.
You may want to consider a MAxJax system which you can remove easily when not in use.
Oh, DO NOT go to this site.... It will spoil you forever!!!:thumbup:
The Garage Journal
Mark

#4 ·
garage

yes i'd do the 20x24 also.. as mentioned a 16' door. i can't think of the roof design but one side of the roof is longer then the other. this will give u room to one side instead of down the middle.. and get truss built on 24" centers. and i might add a metal roof. very easy to do with 2 people and u can do it in a day. when i did mine i priced out shingle roof vs metal. metal was maybe $200 more, but it'll last for 50 yrs and NOT take a week to do it.. your truss guy can give u measurements to order the roofing length's. and i never did one and i'd do it again in a minute.. my garage is 24 x 40..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.