Garage Stereo/Car system.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Mach1460's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 203
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage Stereo/Car system..

Didnt know if Ishould post this here or in the Electrical but I was reading on a guy who used a Cd/mp3 head unit out of a car and mounted it in the wall of the garage then just ran wires to speakers (with an amplifier of course) and thought it would be a cool and cheap idea for my garage. Ive seen 120 to 12v
inverters, but I also read something about using an old computer power cable...? Anyone heard or done such a thing? I have 4 rockford speakers and a JBL subwoofer sitting in my attic, I could find a decent aftermarket head unit for under 100 im sure and an cheap amp off craigslist probobly also..
Thought it would look cool mounted in the wall next to the garage door openers and the thermostat

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Mach1460's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 203
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
could this work? it says "for 12v halogen lights only" splice the 120v side into a standard home outlet plug in and the 12v to the head unit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	70157  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 205
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
No, that won't work. The device in the pic says it's output is AC (alternating current). You'll need a power supply with DC output (direct current). You might be able to find a suitable power supply at Radio Shack, or as you mentioned, computer power supplies usually have a 12V DC output. You just need to ensure the power supply you use will handle the required current of the head unit. And it would be a good idea to wire in a fuse between the power supply and the head unit for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Mach1460's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 203
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good eye on the a/c ! I didn't notice that, i mostly just used that pic as a reference. Ill stop by radio shack and see what they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Bye Jerks
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nowhere
Posts: 101
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You could just buy this and plug it into a wall outlet.
( And save money )



Sony MHC-EC909iP Mini Shelf System MHC-EC909IP B&H Photo Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
I got a surround reciever off ebay for 63 bucks, add an old c/d player and golden, as you already have the speakers.. hell a rca plug to a ipod or mp3 player cable is 10 bucks..
any inverter will add noise(hum) to the sound as they are not made for the power needed,(at least the cheap ones)
my 75 watt per channel surround sound (5.1 channel) was 63 bucks shipped, my ipod cable was 10. my c/d player was free I have a few extras now that dvd/bluerays play c/d's
and old car speakers..
and a senhizer(sp?) wireless headphones, for the burning the midnight oil ,
ebays your friend here.. my radioshack reciever will be plenty loud.. and last forever and for 63 bucks.. deal..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
LATECH's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,293
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 220
Thanked 268 Times in 248 Posts
You can get rid of the hum from inverters by adding a couple large capacitors to flatten out the "ripple" in the half sign wave DC that it produces. Manufacturers do this for sound system quality power supplys.
I have a Radio shack 12 volt converter that is about 50 watts (12 v X 4.2 amps) and it has caps in it. The last stereo I hooked to it for testing was real quiet in its static condition ( on but with no signal to drive the amplifier : static condition )
50 watts may not be enough to support the stereo you have and may cause "clipping (like a brownout) in the system.
I have used freebie stereos from the junker cars I have had in the past years,at times I have used a small battery charger and a car battery to run it, but it is hard on a regualer battery.Deep cycles work well, but I dont usually run across one of those, at least for free
You can build your own power supply with a transformer, a rectifier setup and some big capacitors.
__________________
Fact is stranger than Fiction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM
S10xGN's Avatar
Gotta love a turbo!
 

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Neches, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 1,680
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1460 View Post
Didnt know if Ishould post this here or in the Electrical but I was reading on a guy who used a Cd/mp3 head unit out of a car and mounted it in the wall of the garage then just ran wires to speakers (with an amplifier of course) and thought it would be a cool and cheap idea for my garage. Ive seen 120 to 12v
inverters, but I also read something about using an old computer power cable...? Anyone heard or done such a thing? I have 4 rockford speakers and a JBL subwoofer sitting in my attic, I could find a decent aftermarket head unit for under 100 im sure and an cheap amp off craigslist probobly also..
Thought it would look cool mounted in the wall next to the garage door openers and the thermostat
Sounds like the setup for our pool room. I bought a cheap SONY head unit that had MP3 and USB capability (~ $80) and used a leftover 12v DC power brick for juice. Ran wires through the walls to outdoor speakers and now have good sounds for swimming!

Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
You can get rid of the hum from inverters by adding a couple large capacitors to flatten out the "ripple" in the half sign wave DC that it produces. Manufacturers do this for sound system quality power supplys.
I have a Radio shack 12 volt converter that is about 50 watts (12 v X 4.2 amps) and it has caps in it. The last stereo I hooked to it for testing was real quiet in its static condition ( on but with no signal to drive the amplifier : static condition )
50 watts may not be enough to support the stereo you have and may cause "clipping (like a brownout) in the system.
I have used freebie stereos from the junker cars I have had in the past years,at times I have used a small battery charger and a car battery to run it, but it is hard on a regualer battery.Deep cycles work well, but I dont usually run across one of those, at least for free
You can build your own power supply with a transformer, a rectifier setup and some big capacitors.
before the set up I have now, I used a deep cyl and a battery tender..
reason for the change, no rca/ubs input, for ipod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM
gow589's Avatar
the Clever Turn Signal
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 399
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use computer speakers. They have built in amps and you can plug in just about anything. Often you can find pretty descent set ups for under $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Valkyrie5.7's Avatar
www.generationhighoutput. com
 
Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix
Age: 27
Posts: 897
Wiki Edits: 15

Thanks: 147
Thanked 71 Times in 62 Posts
That is a really cool setup for a garage. I personally keep mine cheaper and simpler:

I keep all of my music stored on my computer and run the computers sound through a vintage tape/radio stereo receiver that I picked up at goodwill for about $10. You can get lucky and find some pretty powerful receivers for cheap.

I just run the audio out on the sound card of the computer via a 3.5mm stereo jack/stereo RCA cable. The stereo RCA cable plugs into the aux in on the receiver and the receiver powers my speakers in the garage. Sound comes out of a set of speakers each equipped with 2x12" drivers with a 4" mid and a 3x7" horn tweeter. Got them for $50 at goodwill as well. Gets loud enough for my neighbors to enjoy Iron Maiden with me if I want to be "that guy" when I'm working on my '65 and I don't have to fiddle with any cd's or ipods or any of that junk. I just play it through winamp on the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM
sqzbox's Avatar
My pipes are my music
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: indiana
Age: 64
Posts: 2,938
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried a noise filter between the hot wire and the radio? Radio shack has them and a few truckstops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Geneva, N.Y.
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
At work, we had a 12 volt power supply that powers a 20 year old car stereo. for speakers we use some that were out by the curb on trash day.
People would comment about how great our sound system sounded.

About a year ago, we wanted to upgrade a little. We have all of our music stored on the computer. In order to play the music through our sound system, we had to get a more modern car stereo that had a jack to plug in the cable coming from the computer. We now enjoy music with no comercials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM
86GMC's Avatar
auto/truck/equipment tech.
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Marathon Ont.
Age: 28
Posts: 107
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
That is a really cool setup for a garage. I personally keep mine cheaper and simpler:

I keep all of my music stored on my computer and run the computers sound through a vintage tape/radio stereo receiver that I picked up at goodwill for about $10. You can get lucky and find some pretty powerful receivers for cheap.

I just run the audio out on the sound card of the computer via a 3.5mm stereo jack/stereo RCA cable. The stereo RCA cable plugs into the aux in on the receiver and the receiver powers my speakers in the garage. Sound comes out of a set of speakers each equipped with 2x12" drivers with a 4" mid and a 3x7" horn tweeter. Got them for $50 at goodwill as well. Gets loud enough for my neighbors to enjoy Iron Maiden with me if I want to be "that guy" when I'm working on my '65 and I don't have to fiddle with any cd's or ipods or any of that junk. I just play it through winamp on the computer.



i do the same, but everything, including the laptop, came from the local dump e-waste bins. its amazing what one can find that others see as garbage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1974 C10 Stereo System :D GUITAR1989 Electrical 0 11-29-2011 09:52 PM
Car Stereo Help Rob Keller Electrical 15 01-17-2006 07:10 PM
need car stereo help bandit1 General Rodding Tech 3 01-01-2004 07:51 PM
Stereo system 72novapowerhouse Interior 19 01-30-2003 04:47 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.