Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - garageless wrenching
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

This is not advertising anything, it is a suggestion for a solution.

Here is the lead in:

I have a shop.

Because I have friends with the same plight as some of you I have at times, rented space to them to work on their cars.

I had one guy do a frame off on his 59 elco, (Happy Tony's car, it's too bad that he piled it up soon after.), another did all the heavy welding and fabrication on his rat rod 29 roadster pu (this one is safe, believe me), and another friend did some general auto repair for folks using my lift and stuff for a while when he was between jobs.

my buddy tyrone used the shop to build his volkswagon powered mini dump truck and make several church steeples. (someone has to make them)

I charged them 300.00 (prorated if necessary)per month and asked that they also replace all consumables like gas, welding wire grinding discs, Toilet paper etc. I gave them all keys. some still have them. I was happy to help them get their projects on the road and they are all right there when I call them to help me. Not one of them ever complained about the money.

I do, of course, also require my tenant to feed me and they had to bring their wives/girlfriends by every so often for an inspection by me. (you guys have no idea the stuff I get away with asking for. I'm gonna get some pictures soon )
Eddie's wife Christine still brings me cookies and a dog biscuit for smiley shopdog.

Yes I trusted them, and I never got burned. My faith in my friends is great, and I was not disappointed. i did know them for some time beforehand, and knew of their character. I also turned down several guys who I did not trust/like (I only appear to be naive)

I did tell each and every one that if they got hurt in my shop that I was going to drag them out to the street and disavow any knowledge of their existence should I get questioned.

Nothing ever happened, (well... except for the first annual powerrods gas fueled human bar-B-que, but we won't talk about that. No lawsuits were ever filed. )

Sharing the shop was done at several other places that I worked and I rented space from my friends at times also. I built the second motor for my mustang in a friends gas station.

I know of several other shop owners that will do this also. Because they are nice guys. I can't believe that there are not folks like that everywhere.

That's my story.

Here is something for you to try. You must be trusting as well as trustworthy for this to work.

If you have any friends that have space, at home or their business, ask them if you can rent a corner in the shop. Ask where you work also, Make sure that you offer to pay rent, fix anything that breaks, keep your pen clean, not interfere with the workings of the business, help with utilities etc.
You never know, they might go for it. What is the worst that could happen, you get turned down?

Just another off the wall suggestion that no one will read from Mikey.

Later.

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example