Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gas air compressor vs electric
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow I don't know who welded on that tank, But that will weaken the tank. Some where on that tank will be a ASME tag listing the max pressure. It will read like 150 WP that would mean 150 psi max pressure. And the pressure that it should run at will be less than that, about 25psi less. So if it is a 150psi tank then it should run at 125psi. But by welding on it no one can tell what that max pressure will be now. You said that you run it up to 144 psi how do you know that it won't burst at 145 now that it's been welded on. It could be a bomb and kill everyone big enough to die. I am not kidding! I seen a compressor tank mounted right behind a cab on a service truck explode and take the cab right off the truck. The best thing to do with the tank now is to cut it up and make a BBQ out of it. The other posters that told you to put a unloader valve on it weren't kidding either. It would also need two safety pop off valves. (Valves that open at a preset pressure) Mount one on the air compressor discharge line and one on the tank. They should be set at the max pressure of the tank. I am not saying this stuff to put you down or shame you in any way. I'm just trying to save your life or folks around you. By the way that compressor head is either a Schults or a China copy of a Schults and is rated for 14 CFM at 125psi. And the clutch on the engine is not made for compressor duty it could be for a go cart but is not for a compressor. If you decide to ignore what I and others have said then please mount this thing outside and don't let anyone near it when it's running. And since you have already taken it to 144psi then don't run it past 100psi. I hope this helps Bill