Gas gauge problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gas gauge problem

I have a 1972 Chevy 3/4 ton with the gas tank behind the seat. Just before going on vacation the gauge read properly. The day I am leaving the gauge drops from what I know I have in the tank to about empty. The gauge does move a little when the gas slushes around in the tank. I fill the tank and the gauge pegged at empty. As I use gas it starts to move again.

I put in a new dash panel and repainted the gas gauge needle. I pulled the needle the first time I worked on the panel and was off a little in my readings so I redid it. I was having a problem getting it back to ready correctly until I set the needle to full and replugged in the power connection to the panel. It worked that way for about a year.

Would it be possible to disconnect the battery and use a magnet to position the needle and reconnect the battery and have it read correctly or is there another prceedure for setting the needle? I am guessing that becasue it does move the sensor in the tank is working.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Just from reading this two or three times, I would think it is a problem with the windings on the tank sender.

There is a flat strip with fine wire wrapped around it. Then the contact point on the swinging arm rubs on a particular part of those windings. It is possible that at some different gas levels, that they are not making a good contact.

You could test that theory by keeping an ohmmeter hooked up to the sender while slowly filling the tank. (disconnect the wire, and test the sender only).

Or, take the sender out and manually work it slowly to see if the ohmmeter shows some bad spots.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Gas gauge problem

take the wire off at gas tank , jumper wire it to good ground , if it moves the Gage , its your sender .
but check to see if tank is grounded first ,it lies in rubber strips and bolted in , rust or corrosion .
ohm meter it to check for ground .
you could also jump tank to good ground first , to see if gage rises to your known fuel level .

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.