Gas gauge trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gas gauge trouble

1980 camaro gas gauge. The printed circuit on the back of my dashboard is ruined, but i need the gas gauge to work, there are 3 terminals in the back of it, one on top, and two on the sides with what looks like a resistor between the terminals. Does anyone know how to hard wire it without the printed circuit on the back of the dashboard, all of the lights and everything were easy, i'm just stuck on the gas gauge.

It's the large fuel gauge to the right of the speedometer where the tach usually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Based on a diagram I have from an older cluster, the terminals should be sending unit wire, ignition-on 12 volts, and ground. I'm not sure the ground terminal is used.

I would try connecting 12 volts and ground to the two terminals that are connected by a resistor, and figure out which combination makes it swing to empty. The resistor is usually for calibration of the needle, so those should be the right two terminals.

On a GM gauge if you have 12 volts on the positive terminal and the other is grounded, that is an empty tank condition. If you put resistors between the sending unit terminal on the gauge and the ground connection, the gauge should show progressively higher, until you get to 90 ohms and full.

Bruce
Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 PM

So when i hook it up, i will only need to have 2 wires going to it? one ground and the other one would be the wire that originally went to it from the harness?

because i know when i took it apart there were 3 copper wires going into it from the original printed circuit.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 AM

The two terminals with the resistor should be 12 volts power, and sending unit wiring. The third terminal is grounded to battery ground.

Bruce
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Thank you for the help, I traced the printed circuit back and found the sending unit wire in the plug behind the dashboard. I tested it and between it and the ground my tester showed some resistance, so i assume that's how the fuel gauge works.
I think i have it all wired up correctly now

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.