Gas gauge wont read right. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Gas gauge wont read right.

So I have a 64 elky and it needed a new pick up in the tank so I went online and ordered it and I installed it. The unit went in with no problemes however it doesn't read right when the tank is full the gauge reads WAY past full like the needle disappears, and then when the tank is empty it reads half full???? It was suposibly the so called correct one that goes in my car. Is it just not compatible with the old gauge or are the new remanufactured stuff different voltage or what???? Any advice would be much appreciated. Somebody else out there has got to have had the same problems.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

The fuel gauge sending unit should have a specific ohm range that matches the gauge. If they don't match you will get strange readings. The other possibility that I can think of is the float somehow wasn't installed right and is stuck.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM

That makes sense about the ohms and making sure their(sending unit and gauge) are matched up. So how do you determine what ohm you gauge needs to be correct?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Will the gauge have it stamped somewhere on it?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Your OEM sender should be a 0-35 ohms unit.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

If the gauge is the original, a good auto parts store should be able to tell you what the original set up was. They should also be able to order you the correct sending unit. If the gauge has been swapped out, you'll need to contact the manufacturer to determine what you need.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Also, double check your ground wire. If you don't have a good ground the gauge will read high. Usually this manifests as a gauge that reads full (when there is no ground) or correct (when it does have ground) but a consistently faulty ground can cause high readings. My 66 Bonneville had a bad ground. For a while it read high. Then for a while it read really high but occasionally got ground and read correct. Then it started working only when it rained. Fixed the ground, fixed the problem.

I doubt that is your issue, but its a cheap fix, and one that I would eliminate first.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.