Hot Rod Forum banner

Gas mileage - one reason it's poor

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
I decided to check the air cleaner on my truck to see why I've lost about a mpg - 9.6 vs 10.6/7. I guess the resident beasties have had a nice nesting place this past winter, but at least it doesn't look quite as bad as what my tractor did last year.

That's part of an insulator from around the battery. I had already pulled the white piece out before I took the pictures

And for you folks that don't recall the tractor air cleaner complete with chipmunk body:

Yes, we are overrun with rodents - but my Havahart trap and a ride to the country works until the new batch arrives

Dave W

See less See more
#2 ·
Irelands child said:
I decided to check the air cleaner on my truck to see why I've lost about a mpg - 9.6 vs 10.6/7. I guess the resident beasties have had a nice nesting place this past winter, but at least it doesn't look quite as bad as what my tractor did last year.

That's part of an insulator from around the battery. I had already pulled the white piece out before I took the pictures

And for you folks that don't recall the tractor air cleaner complete with chipmunk body:

Yes, we are overrun with rodents - but my Havahart trap and a ride to the country works until the new batch arrives

Dave W
Your chipmunks must have carbide teeth to cut through the metal around that air filter . LOL

#4 ·
adantessr said:
Your chipmunks must have carbide teeth to cut through the metal around that air filter . LOL
Nah - they're tough, but they didn't get that far - here's another couple of the tractor filter

Complete with petrified body - there were actually two bodies.

And a better picture of the filter:

This year they ate most of the rag that I had in the inlet tube, but didn't get all of the way in.

Now, the truck - not quite as bad.

Dave W

#5 ·
Geez Ireland. I live in the deep south and were famous for the rodents we got down here,, especially those of us that live way out in the country like I do and I`ve never had`em do that to me. Not yet anyways. But, being were on the subject I can say what happened yesterday. I was working on my truck which has been parked for a month while I did the port work and repaired the fuel pressure regulator on my TBI unit. I go back out there around 5:30, bump into the side mirror and a red wasp flew out and popped me right under my left eye. I dunno if you have red wasps up there but down here we call them "Flying Arsonists" since they`re red and when they pop you it stings and burns so bad. I had to run in and get my contact lens out then put a ice pack on my eye for a while, didn`t do much good as my eye was swollen half way shut for the rest of the evening and it was watering so bad I couldn`t see out of it. The last time I was popped was years ago at the drag strip by a black wasp and he just flew up out of no where and popped me dead center in the forehead and it looked like a third eye. I dunno why they always sting me in the face, maybe it`s because I`m 6`2 or maybe it`s cause they don`t like my looks.

#6 ·
Dunno DV. sounds like you had a real bad day. The South is notorious for nasty bugs - we just have yellow jackets, black wasps, 'skeeters and flying teeth (black flies) but for sure they can do a job on you too. I got nailed on the right arm cleaning out under the deck last year by those yellow SOB's. Not sure how many times, but enough so I couldn't bend my arm without aches for a week.

Dave W.

PS - The gas mileage - no better. Guess I'd better suck it up and put those ten $12/each plugs and $4 each boots I've had for a year in it - but don't think that will help either.

#7 ·
Yeah we got more than our share of bugs down here but it`s okay, they won`t eat much. My father, who`s 70 years old was weed eating around the yard. He got around the power pole and a swarm of yellow jackets flew out and 4 got him. That ticked me off so I waited until they returned to there hole in the ground and poured about a 12 oz of gas down the hole, none came out there after. The skeeters are bad down here this year, walk outside and you`ll see a black cloud making a bee line for you.

#8 ·
silentpoet said:
On my Caddy the mice ate vacuum hoses. And there are a ton of them under the hood. It is going to take me awhile to figure out where they all go even with a factory service manual. I bought 28 foot worth of hose in three different sizes. I am not sure it will be enough.
The hose routing was/is on a sticker under the hood. Even if you have the best manuals and the calibration codes there can be several variations.

#9 ·
The trunk of my neighbor's T/A was a rodent village. Too bad they didn't chew into the four cans of carb cleaner and put an end to their miserable existence.

Yeah, the South has more than our share of bugs. I ran over a fire ant hill with my mower once. The blades threw the ants into the air. I got lucky though, and didn't get bit. I also had a wasp nest in one of my air compressors. Cut it on one day and had some pretty pissed off wasps.

#11 ·
Irelands child said:
.....which reminds me - the house shutters are 'collecting' black wasps nests again this year. Luckily, on a cool morning I get to do them in
At our last house we had wasps swarming behind our fireplace chimney on the outside of the house. Sprayed many times with wasp spray. The following winter during a remodel, I found a football size nest between the inside drywall paper and the siding. Yup, they had removed the insulation and even the drywall paper on the stud side and the gypsum between the layers of paper. Why they didn't keep going and come through the other layer of paper and into the house is beyond me. I am just thankful that they didn't.

#12 ·
adantessr said:
At our last house we had wasps swarming behind our fireplace chimney on the outside of the house. Sprayed many times with wasp spray. The following winter during a remodel, I found a football size nest between the inside drywall paper and the siding. Yup, they had removed the insulation and even the drywall paper on the stud side and the gypsum between the layers of paper. Why they didn't keep going and come through the other layer of paper and into the house is beyond me. I am just thankful that they didn't.

I had honey bees do that at a house. We kept hearing the buzzing (or, at least the wife did) then one day I got a panic call at work - they had broken through and were getting into the house. Their nest was 15" wide x 10" high by 8 FEET long. I had to remove that section of drywall from the ceiling clean the nest plus 20 pounds of honey, seal everything then replace the dry wall. That house had a 'popcorn' ceiling so had to have the entire room at least top coated. New house and only 2 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.