Gas mileage survey and discussion - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I used to get 4 gal for a dollar in high school. I made a $1 an hour at the gas staion so figure 4 gallons for an hour's wage today. I always had money in HS so today all you $20/hr guys don't have to worry untill gas gets up to $5 a gallon.

My 54 Olds used to get about 18-19 on the highway. The 55-57 chevs got about 15 (hotrods). Dad's 57 Merc Turnpike cruiser got maybe 10 on a good day. Most of the time we didn't care. We'd all throw a dollar in the ash tray and we were set for the night. As long as we had gas we had wheels.

I just filled the truck up and I put more in the tank than I used to make in 2 weeks full time back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

If gas hits $5 a gallon, I'll have to stick to riding my motorcycles. Right now, my mild built 454 (400 hp dual 600's, TH400 3.73 gears) gets 14 mpg highway at 55mph.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

2 year old thread. Nice. If gas ( diesel) get up there again I'll just have to go to more events on the trailer as the dually with the Willys in the trailer gets better mpg than the Willys by itself
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 AM
boatbob2

Milage......

Hi,in my baby hotrod,i get 60 MPG at 55 MPH,oh,i guess i better tell you all the secret,my baby is a 1966 KING MIDGET,12 hp Kohler engine,2 speed auto trans,2 place roadster that weigs about 800 lbs. hard to beat that,and every place i go,theres a crowd around it. cant beat it with 2 sticks !!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 PM
amateur gynecologist

Last photo:

When I was driving my '64 in high school in 1987-88 I really didn't care about it's mileage 'cuz I thought it was kewl.

(Dig them acid-washed jeans and that 31 inch waist, baby ^^^!!!)

That pretty much sums up my feelings about driving it today. Granted it now needs paint but I could stand to lose 15 pounds so maybe that means we aged well together.

I have no clue what the Datsun gets.

It does decent but bear in mind that it a rear wheel drive, carbureted thirty year old vehicle with a three speed automatic so it's no mileage king. Doing away with the stock 13 inch steel rims and installing 1980 280z alloy 14 inchers helped slow engine RPMs at cruising but the alloys are actually heavier than the steelies so around town mileage is worse at take-off. Again - I don't care. I like both of them. Never mind that the combined purchase price of the pair totals less than $2000 and that I'd drive either one of from here to the east or west coast with no worries.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.