Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a Hot Rod - need your help - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Jon the pit bull, good one.
This same crap will appear on prim time. The flakes are reproducing faster then we realize.

Advertisement

Last edited by pepi; 08-25-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Good morning everyone .

I have completed the parody video of Gas Monkey Garage.

I've posted it on YouTube. Here's a link: Monkey Boys Garage.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it. It's my first attempt at video editing, but I'm very pleased with how it came out.

Bear in mind that the original Gas Monkey Garage video (as well as my parody, obviously) does contain profanity. While the profanity is indeed very mild, I just thought I'd let you know, as I know that some of our members like to read the forums with younger children.

We still await an apology from Richard Rawlings for the use of manipulative marketing tactics in our community.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Jon that is awesome!!!! It brings out the real truth about the Gas Monkeys.

Steve
Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Loved that video!!!!!!!! You did a great job! Aren't computers great. When I first started editing I had to cut the film apart, add a new scene and then splice it back together. Is there any way that we can keep the video up at the top of the page for others who haven't come from this site can see it right away? If we all go there we can get more hits on this video then his.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The Gas Monkey's video has 2331 veiws, ours has 16 so far......I wonder how long it will take for ours to pass theirs?

not too long, I bet...........................

Budget RVs
Old 08-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
well i'll be damned..... first time i've read this, i usually don't click if it doesn't interest me, but seeing robs post in the dump piqued my curiosity. .....

Jon has a set.... who knew?
go man go. you bad boy you.
Me too! I went ahead and joined the utube thing and posted a comment on Jon's parody (Great job Jon!!!) and on their original video. Tried to link to Jon's video when I commented on the original but got an error message when adding the link with and without the correct HTML coding.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Thanks guys.

Yes, the next step is to make a page that includes the video, a summary of this situation, thumbnail photos of our parody pics, and links to key posts in this thread, as it will soon be too long for an average web surfer to trudge through.

Then, a sitewide promotional banner, followed by a mention of this incident in our next newsletter. Plus, I'm still sending out personalized emails to a bunch of people. And, I need to do a blown-up analysis of the "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" frame, to point out all of the little bad-boy props. For example, Richard's shades that he never takes off, the word Voodoo on the car, the can of beer in his hand, the constantly crossed arms, the "F My Coast" shirt, the skull jewelry, etc. That specific frame is an excellent example of Richard's carefully-scripted badboy persona.

Also, I'd like to put together a simple tutorial to show other webmasters and forum administrators how easy it is to fight video with video, because we're all going to need to step up our skills shortly.

I really feel bad for David Coker, but "he's such a nice guy", "awww, he didn't know", or "his products have a great reputation" aren't legitimate excuses. Also, you can tell by the way he bumbled through his lines that he's not very good at being fake and hamming it up for the cameras. Poor guy . Someone probably slick-talked him into thinking that this would be a good way to promote Newstalgia Wheel. Hence the "Noose-talgia" analogy in the video. They're giving him the rope he's hanging himself with. However, he has to take responsibility. As do we. If we do nothing, then what would they do next?

Also, I'm glad that I've picked up basic video-editing skills, although I still have much to learn. Video is becoming widespread on the net now, and video (television) marketing is already the strongest skill of the mainstream hotrodding marketers. To think that we won't see many more of these would be naive.

poncho -- I agree, and I'll be watching it closely. Part of the reason that we must counter with a video is that, as we draw attention to this situation, people go to YouTube and watch the Gas Monkey Video. So, we were, in a sense, "advertising" their video, without a video of our own for people to watch.

Stephen Andrews (dodgy) -- Unlike Richard Rawlings and David Coker, your first and last name were specifically excluded from the video. My feeling is that your marketing fiasco is caused more by stupidity, inexperience, and basic greed, rather than genuine malice or attempts to usurp American hotrodding culture for reasons of personal profit. Also, you are a very small fish. After your production company collapses, I think that your personal reputation will not be greatly harmed. Your license plate is visible in one of photos you've posted on the web. One of our members, who is also a private investigator, has graciously volunteered to run your plates for us, so that's something that you may want to keep in mind. Like Richard Rawlings and David Coker, a portion of the responsibility for this offense is yours.

I plan on posting on NobleForums.com regarding this incident. I intend to post a link to the parody video, in the thread in which you request feedback on your video: looking for feedback on Gas Monkey video. And, I will be offering free consulting services for any other automotive marketers on that forum who wish to have their promotional material reviewed prior to releasing it on the web. They can either deal with our feedback before they release marketing propaganda, or after.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

My comments on the original video at you tube keep getting removed.

They were not offensive but suggested that viewers check out Jon's video.

I e-mailed you tube for further info as to why?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM

Frisco -- they have blocked comments to the video, or are doing them on an approval-only basis. Same for "video responses", as I wanted to post our video as a response to theirs, but it was not allowed.

(edit: When you upload your videos to YouTube, it's your choice whether you want to allow people to post comments or not.)

They want to maintain the traditional one-way medium of communication that they are accustomed to from television, but with online video. They are mistaking video for television, a common error.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monkeyboys22.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	14386  

Last edited by Jon; 08-25-2006 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Jon!

Hilarious better then the original
Old 08-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Don't worry I'm a Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Good morning everyone .

I have completed the parody video of Gas Monkey Garage.

I've posted it on YouTube. Here's a link: Monkey Boys Garage.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it. It's my first attempt at video editing, but I'm very pleased with how it came out.

Bear in mind that the original Gas Monkey Garage video (as well as my parody, obviously) does contain profanity. While the profanity is indeed very mild, I just thought I'd let you know, as I know that some of our members like to read the forums with younger children.

We still await an apology from Richard Rawlings for the use of manipulative marketing tactics in our community.

You said in the video you were going to send it to SEMA are you actually serious?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:39 AM

EastCoastSBC -- Sure, why not. Feel free to if you want to, although they'll hear about it anyway.

I was thinking I'd wait until I have a dedicated page set up with the video, photo parodies, and a summary of this situation. Then, start another round of promotion around the web.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I can't leave a comment on their video either, so I will post it here.................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasmonkey.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	14387  

Budget RVs
Old 08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I didn't have the time to do another parody pic, but I this one that I think fits Jon's situation perfectly

[IMG]*[/IMG]

Brad

Last edited by Jon; 08-29-2006 at 03:06 PM. Reason: hotlinked image showing error message
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'll post this on the HAMB as well later on. Jay Leno is a regular member there and checks everyday so he might even see it
They take down the comments on their video. I had posted a link to this thread on their video comments but everything was delted shortly after.
Great vid Jon!
Still waiting for dodgy to say something, his name appears at the bottom of the thread quite often as "viewing"
Poncho, as soon as you put an url in your comment an "error occurs". You gotta space it out like so "w w w . h o t r o d d e r s . c o m / badboys"

Mike
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.