Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a Hot Rod - need your help (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/gas-monkey-garage-giving-away-hot-rod-need-your-help-96191.html)

dodgy 08-20-2006 01:59 PM

Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a Hot Rod - need your help

Hi Everyone,

Richard Rawlings of Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a hot rod. We need your help in 2 ways.

1. We need a worthy charity that we can raise money for. We aim to sell T-Shirts in order for people to go into the draw. We want to give the profits to a good charity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. We are going to be documenting the build out and posting the film on you tube - The first video is posted. What would you like to see in the build out - specifically???

Check out the video here:
Gas Monkey Garage Hot Rod video

I am adding a couple of pictures of the 31 etc.

http://gasmonkeyblog.typepad.com/pho...051115_004.jpg
http://gasmonkeyblog.typepad.com/pho...051115_001.jpg :evil:

powerrodsmike 08-20-2006 02:25 PM

That looks like a fun place. I watched the video, but I have no sound on my box so I can't really comment on that.

There is a website that gives information on charities. I had it bookmarked, but it is gone .Maybe someone else knows of it.
. They have info such as how much charity money actually goes to the disadvantaged folks it is trying to help. Some charities only give a small percentage to its "beneficiaries" and the rest goes towards administrative costs.
I would try to stay away from the "high administrative cost " organizations.

How will you organize your raffle? I think you need some kind of permit to do that, so that you can be accountable for the money you collect. If you are doing it nationwide, then it may get complicated.

Later, mikey

Jon 08-20-2006 02:37 PM

Greetings dodgy. Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board :welcome:.

I watched the video. I thought it was pathetic, and I'd like those 3 minutes and 48 seconds of my life back. The prefabricated bad-boy image is a result of too much exposure to hotrodding television shows (we call them "soap operas for hotrodders"), and sold-out magazines that are all run by the same corporation. I hope this is simply another result of foolish, out-of-touch automotive marketing tactics, and that the guys at the Gas Monkey Garage are not as artificial as they are being portrayed.

Your attempt to promote Gas Monkey Garage through giveaways and "charity" donations is not going to fly around here. If you had genuine media savvy, you would understand this. Like most hotrodding forums, we are primarily interested in technical information that pertains to the construction and repair of hot rods.

Please take the time to read our Guidelines for Posting, as well as our Business Posting Guidelines. We have numerous owners and employees of respectable hotrodding businesses that manage to participate in our forums without breaking our rules.

Furthermore, please remove the first picture you've posted. While technically not against our guidelines, I think that it's disturbing and weird.

Either offer us a genuine public apology within 48 hours, or I'm going to call up Gas Monkey Garage and let them know that their online marketing efforts have gone seriously awry. Phone calls will be accompanied by comments on the Gas Monkey blog, and by a notification to numerous other hotrodding forums that another cheesy hot rod marketing company is making the rounds.

powerrodsmike 08-20-2006 02:45 PM

WOW! I haven't seen Jon make a post like that EVER!!

(I guess I ought to get some speakers, huh Jon. :smash:)

I wondered if it was some sales gimmick.
I guess I didn't see the word "profits".

Mikey

Centerline 08-20-2006 03:14 PM

Jon's post was kind. I'd like to say what I think about it but the profanity filter would never let me. :mad:

dodgy 08-20-2006 03:15 PM

Jon,

Thanks for your post. The intention of the post was certainly not to offend. The picture will be removed immediately.

The goal of my post was to go to the people directly who may have the best input into creating a show and obtain feedback. We absolutley want to make a show about the building of a hot rod but, as you know, there are many shows on the networks (not particularly hot rod specific) out there that are very similar and a little bland. We want to do something different. ( By the way I am not with Gas Monkey Garage - I am with the production company. There are many places to post information or links to the video on the internet but I thought this forum would be good because you guys build hot rods and would know what you like to see - as opposed to the usual stuff out there.

With regards to the charity - there are some charites that have more of a car/bike focus. There is one that was at Sturgis called "kids and chrome" - a possibility. It would be possible to link up with a general charity. However, I was looking to see if anyone had any information about charities that have been involved in car giveaways/hotrod giveaways in the past - a little more specific I guess.

My intention was to be clear in my post that I was behind the video and was asking for help as opposed to just advertising the video. I am sorry that it was seen as a marketing ploy.

If I have caused any other offense I apologize unreservedly.

If anyone has any feedback on a charity or what people would like to see in a show I would greatefully appreciate it.

Jon - I would be happy to chat with you on the phone at anytime so that you can hopefully understand my intentions were genuine and not intended to offend.

Classix_Lover 08-20-2006 03:32 PM

Lol Mikey Mikey Mikey... if only you had speakers to hear it :sweat: That video was pretty cheesy and as Jon put it, promotes the whole bs "badboy" image. Way to go though Jon on cracking down on crap like this :thumbup:

steve t 08-20-2006 04:12 PM

all rat rods are stupid looking, i hope its just a trend, and people will build a safe car to drive, rust sucks :evil:

pi71 08-20-2006 04:35 PM

whats the deal here? Hot Rodders Forum, Fellow Hot Rod builder trying to inform...if it would have been Foose,Jesse James, or Coddington would the reaction be the same..?

TooMany2count 08-20-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve t
all rat rods are stupid looking, i hope its just a trend, and people will build a safe car to drive, rust sucks :evil:

to each his own & not all so-called rat rods (i hate that term) are unsafe. as for saying rust sucks well i guess alot of us w/unfinished or unrestored cars/trucks must suck also then. just remember steve alot of us here LIKE our rust.....joe

steve t 08-20-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooMany2count
to each his own & not all so-called rat rods (i hate that term) are unsafe. as for saying rust sucks well i guess alot of us w/unfinished or unrestored cars/trucks must suck also then. just remember steve alot of us here LIKE our rust.....joe

my car has rust, but i try to hide it

jalopy45 08-20-2006 05:44 PM

:pimp: I've run into these folks at several swap meets in Texas and Hot August Nights, and their work is on par with the big name West and Other Coast shops. But if you don't like their cars, you don't need to run them down because like it or not they're here and there's more of them all the time. I seem to remember people getting upset and disliking independent suspension cars, air bagged rides, low riders, shop built, fiberglass cars, etc. Personally I like buggy springs, solid axles, single stage paint, lots of horsepower and a tool box in the trunk, but I like to see every other style of car and I appreciate the work that goes into them, even if I wouldn't own one. :drool:

Centerline 08-20-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalopy45
:pimp: .... But if you don't like their cars, you don't need to run them down because like it or not they're here and there's more of them all the time. .......

Most are not running them down because of their cars, it was the attitude of the original post (that has since been edited to remove the vulgar material) and the quality, actually lack of quality would be more correct, of the video link that most people over the age of 10 would object to.

Personally, I believe the car they allegedly built for a member of the Koker family is a first class POS. It has unsafe ground clearance and virtually no room for rear suspension travel. It is unsafe and I sincerely hope, for the public's safety he never drives it on the road. I don't give a damn about him, it's the innocent bystander that gets taken out when that POS comes apart when he hits a pot hole that I'm worried about.

rj57 08-20-2006 06:45 PM

I haven't watched the provided video because I too do not have speakers to hear the conversion provided.

Quote:

whats the deal here? Hot Rodders Forum, Fellow Hot Rod builder trying to inform...if it would have been Foose,Jesse James, or Coddington would the reaction be the same..?
I personally could care less about any one of them. My girlfriend made me stand in line at the Columbus GoodGuys for well over an hour because SHE wanted Chips autograph. Not me.

After getting the prized autograph Chip stares at me with a look on his face like:
"Don't you want my autograph? You look like a car guy and I'm sure you want it."

I took her picture next to him, but after that we left.

Last year when we happen to see not only Chip, Boyd, Duane, AND Troy at '05 Columbus GoodGuys, again I could have cared less. Infact I walked right past all of them. I was there to look at the real attractions. The cars, trucks, and bikes people had slaced over to build and drive to the event.

donsrods 08-20-2006 07:25 PM

And not only that, those two women they had in black thongs in the picture they posted were the ugliest women I've ever seen. Made my computer screen all dirty . :D :D :D I'm glad you made them remove it.

Don