Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gas Monkey update: Discovery drops Rawlings
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
I would love to see a show like that as well. The main problem I see with it is that where would the profits from the shows sponsors come from? What products can they push while showing you how to do this in your own garage?
The profits would come from selling products and services that are needed or desired by the individual building in his/her own garage. Not many people make their own steel, their own tools, parts, precision machinery, and all the materials needed to construct a garage.

For a personal, anecdotal example, I've spent nearly $10 grand on tools and my garage in about 2 years, since beginning my project. None of that, to my knowledge, went to any advertisers on the current crop of "infomercials" disguised as hotrodding shows, because none of the shows are about real hotrodders. When I want to know what I need to accomplish some goal along the way to completing my project, the current tv shows are the last place I would consider. Hotrodders.com is the first.

Profits would also come from selling products and services that are needed or desired by the individual hiring the building of a hotrod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
Most of the so called "automotive shows" are just half hour commercials for whatever they are trying to sell.
I would go so far as to change your "[m]ost" to "all". I've watched just enough of them to determine that they're about promoting the purchase of glittery parts instead of about hotrodding.

Give me a show with somebody like willys36 installing Caddy taillights using glass pack mufflers, or powerrodsmike putting a new radiator inside an ancient brass one for a museum firetruck, or RickB1B's wood dash for a '37 Caddy, or cboy building his "Rat on a shoestring". None of them put on a thong, strolled into the woods and began pounding rocks, dirt and animal skins into hotrods. Each bought _something_, beyond beer, sunglasses and posters.

If the producers would make it real, they might discover an audience of people who actually need or want products that help accomplish a goal. Such an audience is already motivated.

Sales that are dependent on trickery, including false, crafted lifestyle images, are not nearly as reliable as sales to people with pre-existing needs and desires. Victims of the former spread warnings while satisfied customers spread referrals.