Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gas Monkey update: Discovery drops Rawlings
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

(I've split off some of the posts in this thread to another post, located here: split from GMG thread I'd like to keep this one on-topic).

----

Hi "Thanks", and welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Regarding "hard work", I'm surprised to hear that Richard's "Spank My Anti-Christ" campaign is regarded as such, while developing the largest hot rod site on the web is not. Really, all of our members deserve a pat on the back for the work they've done over the years to build this site. This site is built on the knowledge of thousands of people.

Regarding my personal status as an automotive "MAN", I've never claimed to have anything more than middle-of-the-road automotive knowledge and experience. Nor have I showboated my personality for profit.

Regarding this site's finances, we take in about $700 per month in ad revenue. Hosting fees are usually around $500 per month. We also host the Crankshaft Coalition, a coalition of hotrodding websites. And, we host Ozrodders.com, an Australian hotrodding site. The Australian government tried to use a loophole in Australian law to shut them down, under pressure from the mainstream Australian hotrodding media. So, now we administer and host them on American servers, with an American administrator. The Crankshaft Coalition and Ozrodders.com add about $300 per year in hosting fees. Any money that's left over at the end of the month usually gets spent on new projects for the site, or on pizza and beer. This month, we put our resources towards a new site we'll be opening for younger hotrodders, at Youngrodders.com.

This is pretty standard for most non-sellout information-oriented hotrodding websites. You can check out the 130+ forums listed on our Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums if you'd like to inquire about their finances.

One thing's for sure, you'll never see us making money from secret deals to promote companies' products.

Regarding your "you'll get yours" comment, thanks for the veiled threat. Coker Tire made a similar threat, in this post. You guys are all the same: deny, then cover up, then threaten. I assure you, I'm trembling with fear as I sit here in my mother's basement.

----

For those who are new to this situation, here's a summary:

1. A marketer working for Dodgy Monkey Media and Gas Monkey Garage violated our rules, and posted promotional material for a new television series on our forums. The promotional material included:

--A photograph of two men wearing nothing but women's thong underwear with the phrase "Spank My Monkey" imprinted on it. Here it is: Spank My Monkey photograph.

--A video in which Richard Rawlings, the head of Gas Monkey Garage, declared that he was the "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World". We've parodied the video, you can see it here: Monkeyboys video.

--Text in which the marketer stated that this was being done "for charity".

2. In the video, two companies were mentioned: Coker Tire, owned by Corky Coker, and Newstalgia Wheel, owned by Corky Coker's brother David. We figured they were sponsors. The video also mentioned SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association.

3. When we asked Corky Coker about it, he posted publicly on our forums. He tried to manipulate us, and cover up his connection to the video. When he failed, a "mystery poster" came on the board, put his location as "CO", (where I live), and threatened me. Here's the post: the threat. What a surprise, our log data proved that the mystery poster was posting from the same IP address as Corky Coker. It's discussed here: Corky Coker Is a Jerk.

4. SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, dropped Gas Monkey Garage, discussed here. And now, Discovery has also dropped Rawlings. We're currently working on MTV's SpikeTV channel, on which Rawlings was also scheduled to appear.

The whole while, we kindly requested an apology from Gas Monkey Garage. We never received one.
----

ChevyThunder -- glad you caught the Wikipedia situation. Yes, Coker Tire is now trying to write a fake Wikipedia article about Corky, and getting caught in the act.