Gas Monkey update: Discovery drops Rawlings - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks
WOW! What a great accomplishment you have made!
You know, destroying what this guy has worked hard for his entire life!
I mean, from what started as a joke.... and clearly it was a JOKE.. you have single handily run this guy into the ground! Give yourself a BIG pat on the back for that one!

I tell ya it takes HARD WORK to become that successful in life.. and by hard work I don't mean farting around on the computer in your mother's basement day and night trying to perfect a hotrodding website.. and trying to make everyone think that you aren't making any money out of the deal.

Why don't you un-*** that chair, take a step outside and let the sun hit you in the face for once in your life time?
Go buy a ratty piece of crap for $500, tear it down and rebuild it? Be a MAN for once in your lifetime!

Just remember, what comes around goes around.. you'll get yours
It seems like we have all heard this WIND BLOW before...thats all it is just WIND.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 06:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
It seems like we have all heard this WIND BLOW before...thats all it is just WIND.

More like a BLOW HARD if you ask me.

You know, it really pains me that we have to allow these TROLLS a soapbox so they can whine about how Jon has handled the actions of yet another TROLL. Oh well, the good news is they won't stick around long and if what I suspect is right (they're all friends of "Thong Boy") there can't be that many of them.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire

Isnt Richard and Gas Monkey Garage from Dallas? Isnt Denton a 20 minute drive from Dallas? I see the word is spreading around fast

Are they closing shop?

Mike
I did an IP seach for Thanks...65.71.69.98.................Guess where it's located?

Dallas, Tx

Budget RVs
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 PM
http://www.texasspeedandshine.

Wiki Edits: 0

Jon, please write...

Jon, can you explain this whole thing in a 'CliffsNotes" version? It may help us all fully understand. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I did an IP seach for Thanks...65.71.69.98.................Guess where it's located?

Dallas, Tx
yep, swbell.net is the ISP
Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

WOW! , I haven't had so much fun watching folks bicker since I served Divorce papers on my Step Mother For my Pops...

Don't Know 'Bout you, but I going back to more productive pursuits..Like counting how many bricks Comprise the Fireplace Frame..

Counting to see that the scan/Raster lines are REALLY 525 lines per frame on the TV picture tube OR is the Cable Company ripping me off..

How many drips per minute it will take in a 24 hour period to fill a gallon jug..

Doc
Old 10-09-2006, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

A show id like to see

You know what I think would make a great show. I think having a show with like a younger guy has this car that he needs "overhauled or finished" and they could steal the car and have a bunch of guys who want to learn how to do like body work and paint and stuff be taught by proffesionals as they use this guys car as a learning base. Thats were all the guest apperances would come in like different pro shops teaching a bunch of people who want to learn how to build a hot rod via hands on. It would add to the learning part of it as we could all learn from what they teach the guys on TV. Wouldnt that be trick
Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I like it. Take Joe Wannabe and set him in front of a dented plumber's truck or whatever. Have him fix the dent with someone to show him what to do. Start with hammers and dollies, move up to shrinking hammers and what not.
I've gotten where I hate these shows of guys who already know everything and all they're basically doing is a video version of some manufacturer's kit installation instructions. I want to see folks who want to know how to fix and modify things being shown at least how to get started or accomplish something reasonably simple.
You can buy reasonably priced welders at lots of places. I see posts pretty regularly on different forums by people who would like to weld things but don't have a clue where to start. Stick a couple of Joe Cluelesses, welders, and weldor on a project.
Instead of a project car popping into super car painter's booth and popping back out all pretty, stick some folks in there who've never held a paint gun. Give them the broadside of a barn to practice on, or whatever.
What such stuff wouldn't teach it might at least inspire. Many folks would like to try working on cars but are intimidated. Might help if they can say "Hey, that complete idiot managed to do a pretty good job and he never touched a DA sander before (or whatever). If he can do it..."
And show us the screwups. Human beings screw up. Most of us learn from such screwups. It's always nicer to learn from someone else's.
Somebody's got to pay for these shows. How about Sear's, Eastwood, Harbor Freight, places like that. A bunch of them. No heavy promotion needed just little reminders that the tools you saw on this show can be purchased there. "I always wondered how to use a shrinking hammer, now I know. Pretty neat, wonder where can I get one?"
Think it would work?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:40 PM

So tell me in simple terms what he did wrong? I can not understand all this jumping from page to page. I am just a simple man.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

It seems on wikipedia Mr Coker or one of his associates is refusing to allow this incident to be written about. He is deleting talk pages and everything related to this incident.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Wiki Edits: 7314

(I've split off some of the posts in this thread to another post, located here: split from GMG thread I'd like to keep this one on-topic).

----

Hi "Thanks", and welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Regarding "hard work", I'm surprised to hear that Richard's "Spank My Anti-Christ" campaign is regarded as such, while developing the largest hot rod site on the web is not. Really, all of our members deserve a pat on the back for the work they've done over the years to build this site. This site is built on the knowledge of thousands of people.

Regarding my personal status as an automotive "MAN", I've never claimed to have anything more than middle-of-the-road automotive knowledge and experience. Nor have I showboated my personality for profit.

Regarding this site's finances, we take in about $700 per month in ad revenue. Hosting fees are usually around $500 per month. We also host the Crankshaft Coalition, a coalition of hotrodding websites. And, we host Ozrodders.com, an Australian hotrodding site. The Australian government tried to use a loophole in Australian law to shut them down, under pressure from the mainstream Australian hotrodding media. So, now we administer and host them on American servers, with an American administrator. The Crankshaft Coalition and Ozrodders.com add about $300 per year in hosting fees. Any money that's left over at the end of the month usually gets spent on new projects for the site, or on pizza and beer. This month, we put our resources towards a new site we'll be opening for younger hotrodders, at Youngrodders.com.

This is pretty standard for most non-sellout information-oriented hotrodding websites. You can check out the 130+ forums listed on our Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums if you'd like to inquire about their finances.

One thing's for sure, you'll never see us making money from secret deals to promote companies' products.

Regarding your "you'll get yours" comment, thanks for the veiled threat. Coker Tire made a similar threat, in this post. You guys are all the same: deny, then cover up, then threaten. I assure you, I'm trembling with fear as I sit here in my mother's basement.

----

For those who are new to this situation, here's a summary:

1. A marketer working for Dodgy Monkey Media and Gas Monkey Garage violated our rules, and posted promotional material for a new television series on our forums. The promotional material included:

--A photograph of two men wearing nothing but women's thong underwear with the phrase "Spank My Monkey" imprinted on it. Here it is: Spank My Monkey photograph.

--A video in which Richard Rawlings, the head of Gas Monkey Garage, declared that he was the "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World". We've parodied the video, you can see it here: Monkeyboys video.

--Text in which the marketer stated that this was being done "for charity".

2. In the video, two companies were mentioned: Coker Tire, owned by Corky Coker, and Newstalgia Wheel, owned by Corky Coker's brother David. We figured they were sponsors. The video also mentioned SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association.

3. When we asked Corky Coker about it, he posted publicly on our forums. He tried to manipulate us, and cover up his connection to the video. When he failed, a "mystery poster" came on the board, put his location as "CO", (where I live), and threatened me. Here's the post: the threat. What a surprise, our log data proved that the mystery poster was posting from the same IP address as Corky Coker. It's discussed here: Corky Coker Is a Jerk.

4. SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, dropped Gas Monkey Garage, discussed here. And now, Discovery has also dropped Rawlings. We're currently working on MTV's SpikeTV channel, on which Rawlings was also scheduled to appear.

The whole while, we kindly requested an apology from Gas Monkey Garage. We never received one.
----

ChevyThunder -- glad you caught the Wikipedia situation. Yes, Coker Tire is now trying to write a fake Wikipedia article about Corky, and getting caught in the act.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

I got caught by your changes. I was going to page 6 and landed on 4. I was afraid someone was hacking again.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
ChevyThunder -- glad you caught the Wikipedia situation. Yes, Coker Tire is now trying to write a fake Wikipedia article about Corky, and getting caught in the act.
I just checked this out. Are these the same guys that are all posting their first post in this and other Monkey threads.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Wiki Edits: 7314

home brew -- I don't know if it's the same exact guys. However, the guys trying to write the fake Wikipedia article are definitely Coker-related. Check out the discussion page for the Corky Coker wikipedia article. The article was started by the wikipedia user CokerTire, and it had huge praise for Corky Coker. These are called "vanity" articles on Wikipedia, and they're not allowed. Anyway, when I pointed this out in the discussion page, he deleted my comments (a huge no-no), and replaced them with: "Entry has been updated from original entry to include more notable information in regards to how Corky's dedication and work has helped car collectors and enthusiasts worldwide."

There's another guy in there working for Coker. The wikipedia user QMax. He also deleted some of my comments from the discussion page. I'm pretty sure his name is Josiah Q. Roe. He has a blog on Chattablogs.com, a blog site for people in Chattanooga (that's where Corky lives too). Here's an entry he made in his blog about Corky Coker: http://chattablogs.com/quintus/archives/040292.html . It links to the wiki article. I confronted him about it on his blog, but, of course, he deleted my comments.

Coker's awkwardly trying to cover up this situation now. Part of his plan is to get people to write these fake articles about him on the net, so that our article: Corky Coker Is a Jerk, gets lost among numerous other articles.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I love the title on that blog page..."I'm not your monkey" and "Irresponsible Journalism??"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.