Gas Monkey update: Discovery drops Rawlings - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 02:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The best action to take is to not buy Coker Tires or newstalgia wheels. There are other respectable businesses that sell the same type products

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

Man these dudes should be producing and marketing shovels. Imagine if you had a Coker or GMG shovel, you could dig that 12' deep pool you always wanted in 10 mins.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Holy crap, this is unbelievable.

In addition to Coker's fake articles, it looks like Discovery put up an entire fake bulletin board: OverhaulinForums.com. The board went up about 10 days ago, a little bit after my first call to Discovery.

It's designed to look like a "fan" started it. The motto is: "Join Our Community and Discuss the Greatest Car Show on TV". Check out the discussions started by the member "Overhaulinfan". Here's my favorite: Why I Love Overhaulin'. Here's a quote:

Quote:
I love Chip Foose's work, I love the effort of all the team, I love the pranks, and I love the outcome virtually everytime. Thank you TLC for making one of the greatest shows on television.
Here's the user list: user list. It looks like Chip Foose is already signed up.

What a surprise, the domain name Overhaulinforums.com is registered in the name of "overhaulinforums.com Private Registrant". I'm calling Kristin Brown again, right now. This is beyond ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:05 AM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

I guess Im just too dump to figure it out.I am confused as to what they did that is so bad,and why it is such a big deal.I am being serious.........I followed these threads from the begening.Is there some one that can sum all this stuff up?

Evil
Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

by no means am I going to be rude but Im heading over to the overhauling and am going to critique it and see what happens
Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
home brew -- I don't know if it's the same exact guys. However, the guys trying to write the fake Wikipedia article are definitely Coker-related. Check out the discussion page for the Corky Coker wikipedia article. The article was started by the wikipedia user CokerTire, and it had huge praise for Corky Coker. These are called "vanity" articles on Wikipedia, and they're not allowed. Anyway, when I pointed this out in the discussion page, he deleted my comments (a huge no-no), and replaced them with: "Entry has been updated from original entry to include more notable information in regards to how Corky's dedication and work has helped car collectors and enthusiasts worldwide."

There's another guy in there working for Coker. The wikipedia user QMax. He also deleted some of my comments from the discussion page. I'm pretty sure his name is Josiah Q. Roe. He has a blog on Chattablogs.com, a blog site for people in Chattanooga (that's where Corky lives too). Here's an entry he made in his blog about Corky Coker: http://chattablogs.com/quintus/archives/040292.html . It links to the wiki article. I confronted him about it on his blog, but, of course, he deleted my comments.

Coker's awkwardly trying to cover up this situation now. Part of his plan is to get people to write these fake articles about him on the net, so that our article: Corky Coker Is a Jerk, gets lost among numerous other articles.
I checked that out before. Is there any resolution on the "deletes".

Looks like he (Josiah Q. Roe) is after a free set of tires. In fact he even says that, maybe just to make us think he doesn't work there. Looks like he may be in advertising.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
I checked that out before. Is there any resolution on the "deletes".
Regarding the Wikipedia article, it looks like the entire thing is going to be deleted as a vanity article. In the future, we can add information on this scandal to Wikipedia IF we can show more external sources and media coverage. The Coker guys really flubbed that one by writing the article with the username "CokerTire".
Old 10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Holy crap, this is unbelievable.

In addition to Coker's fake articles, it looks like Discovery put up an entire fake bulletin board: OverhaulinForums.com. The board went up about 10 days ago, a little bit after my first call to Discovery.

It's designed to look like a "fan" started it. The motto is: "Join Our Community and Discuss the Greatest Car Show on TV". Check out the discussions started by the member "Overhaulinfan". Here's my favorite: Why I Love Overhaulin'. Here's a quote:

Here's the user list: user list. It looks like Chip Foose is already signed up.

What a surprise, the domain name Overhaulinforums.com is registered in the name of "overhaulinforums.com Private Registrant". I'm calling Kristin Brown again, right now. This is beyond ridiculous.
How is it that "Overhaulinfan" Administrator has a join date of Feb. 02?

As well - not one of the users has any personal info listed in their sign ups and only three members have posted.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
How is it that "Overhaulinfan" Administrator has a join date of Feb. 02?

As well - not one of the users has any personal info listed in their sign ups and only three members have posted.
And "Chip Foose" didn't include his website.......
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Very interesting situation. BTW, here are the "real" Overhaulin' forums, at Discovery.com: http://community.discovery.com/1/Ope...904&f=16610425 .
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Just remember: "Time wounds all heels...."
Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I just read through the overhaulinforum.com
Those guys have some of the brownest noses Ive ever seen. Something definitly isn't right when someone kisses up that much.

Brad
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I suspect that forum might be just what it appears to be on the surface. Just a forum started by a fan of the show. Time will tell though.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
I just read through the overhaulinforum.com
Those guys have some of the brownest noses Ive ever seen. Something definitly isn't right when someone kisses up that much.

Brad

Doc here,

Go over to the wrecks to riches MSG BD...you'll find about 1/3 of them are mods or big posters over there..And if you add or subtract some numbers / letters..they are the same as some seen here, AND over there as well..

Groupies?? Hummmm.....

Doc
Old 10-18-2006, 06:01 PM

An update...

The fake Wikipedia article on Corky Coker has been deleted by Wikipedia administrators. Wikipedia deleted it because it was an obvious "vanity" article, written as an advertisement for Coker. Once again, Coker abuses an informational resource for profit. And gets caught.

And, I spoke with Kristin Brown from Discovery about OverhaulinForums.com. She said that they didn't start it. I still think that it looks like they did, but if not, then someone related to this situation, or someone with some sort of ulterior financial motive put it up. Here's another "great" quote from OverhaulinFan, the administrator of OverhaulinForums.com:

Quote:
Great shows, fun to watch Chip and the gang, and the mark's were super appreciative. Those are great shows.
Attached is a screenshot of the original fake Wikipedia article, prior to deletion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fake-coker-article.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	15618  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.