gas powered compressor pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

gas powered compressor pump

I do not have 220v and I have a 110v compressor which runs for the most part 'ok'. I can paint with it and for a 110v compressor ( HF 90234 ) it works great.. But I'v had an idea to run a 2cyl compressor pump with a 6.5hp gas engine. I could get a 10 gallon air tank from harbor freight repair parts I think, otherwise, a couple 10 gallon portable air tanks flipped upside down would do..

Where would I get the throttle actuator, or an electric clutch to make it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Grainger Mcmaster supply MSG supply ebay
Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

You will need a throttle kick-down solenoid and an unloader valve for the pump but be warned these can be a bugger to set up properly. You can use a centrifugal clutch in place of the unloader but honestly the unloader does not cost a lot and works a heck of a lot better than a clutch, which IMO don't work well at all on a compressor. If you are considering just a single stage reed valve pump then a clutch may be your only real option but that setup on only 6 1/2 HP is not going to produce a lot of air.

www.surpluscenter.com

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1499&catname=
Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking this This and ither the 6.5hp Greyhound or the 13hp Greyhound or the Predator equivlants..

Where would I get the kickdown?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

Not sure about that particular pump since they changed them a couple of years ago but the cast iron version of that one was a darn good pump for the price, I know of two of them that have been in service about 3 years and are performing well. For sure you will need the 13 HP to run that one because 6.5 would not be near powerful enough, you need over twice the power rating when using a gas engine vs an electric motor and three times the power rating is not too much!

Just an idea here, how about using an electric clutch controlled by a regular compressor pressure switch? You would still need an electric throttle kick-down and you would need to sync the throttle and clutch but that should be doable. Not sure how the clutch/engine would handle the sudden jolt of engaging such a heavy load as that compressor pump but if you use the unloader valve that's normally used with the pressure switch in conjunction with the tank check valve the the pump would be unloaded when starting, just a thought.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking about an A/C clutch. being I have the compressor from a '75 Lincoln. But the local small engine shop may have an electric PTO clutch kicking around.. Might possibly use the PTO drive setup from my '68 Sears Suburban 12hp. Just back the mower up till the belt was tight, and run an unloader valve... That reed valve pump would get hot tho
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

An AC clutch would be way too light but a mower clutch should handle the load.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Well, digging this post out of the grave. HF has there 212cc Predator 6.5 HP's on sale with a coupon for $99.99 and I ordered 1 to at least have that part. I'm also going to use the 2hp rated single cylinder pump instead of the 2 cyl. The extra $200 for the engine large enough for the 2 cyl wasn't worth it

Is This the throttle control I need?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

Let us know what you think about the Predator engine, I had one of the Greyhound engines and not only was I constantly having to tighten parts that were working loose but the darn thing sure didn't last very long. It was used on my log splitter and after less than an estimated 35 hours (I am sure the estimate is very close) I thought the pulley was loose on the crankshaft but when I checked it out it was the crankshaft loose in the case! I still don't see how that darn thing was not leaking oil because it should have been pouring out as sloppy as that crank was, I could grab the end of the crank and flop it up and down at least 1/8"! The darn thing went to the scrap recycler and was replaced with a Honda.

What I have been hearing is that the new Predator engine is much better built and every bit an equal to the lower end Honda engines, it has a bearing on the crank output instead of running directly on the Aluminum crankcase housing like the Greyhound.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

I'm not too worried. ok, the cam gear is plastic but $99 and I could always put an OEM GX-200 cam in if it broke

Lifan produces genuine Honda parts to ISO-9000 standards.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The new engines are 212cc, so I don't know whether they'll be legal for kart racing or not, but they're still rated the same HP so who knows? I got one for my mini bike, so it doesn't matter to me, but for racing I'd want to check.

Word has it the stock flywheels will come apart if used ungoverned. Not a problem if used for a log splitter or compressor, thankfully. Iron cylinder liner and ball bearings on the crank. About as good as it gets for a clone of the Honda. 'Specially for a c-note.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

word is there not legal for kart racing, and only 196cc engines remain in class.

Honda flywheels fit and NR racing has them cheap.. I'v also found the cams are not interchangable with any other engines except LCT cams are listed to interchange. NR racing has a stock class cam which is all steel.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I should have added that there are both cast iron (cheap) flywheels available as well as aluminum ones (not as cheap).
Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 PM
WFO

Last photo:

212cc Predator 6.5HP

The link below has them calling the 212cc Predator 7 HP. They also seem to be a little concerned about using ZDDP because of the flat tappets. Personally I do not thing there's enough spring pressure to worry about it.

Seems that the Predator has different rods, cams, and piston/rings than the Honda GX 200 and clones. The 212 cc Predator has a 70 mm x 55mm B/S, the old engine was 68 mm x 54 mm.

5 reviews are available- http://www.harborfreight.com/Predato...:referralID=NA

From HERE:

Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

yep, the piston rod and cam as non interchangable is what I have come across also.. dunno where the 7hp comes from. HF lists as a replacement for 6.5hp but doesn't give an official rating in the manual

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...8999/68120.pdf
there are some other pics on 1 of the karting forums.. they actually look quite decent

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.