gas prices - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Chevy stuff makes a Ford Tough

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gas prices

Quote:
Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a
gallon by the summer and it might go higher!!

Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE
SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that
was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue
to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an
inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,
whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking
gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.56 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost! of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY
gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and ! pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If
you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am ... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Took this from another web forum and thought it might end up somewhere good. Seriously, the gas prices are getting ridiculous and something needs to be done about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Man,I am sorta excited,gas prices dropped below $2.00 a gallon last night. Last weekend they were $2.06 for 87.My SHO requires 93,so it was $2.26 a gallon. Regular is down to $1.99 a gallon now. I am sure it will shoot up to $2.20 again soon though.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Thats to funny!! Being happy with 2.26 a gallon, they got us prepped allready!
Monday I put in 120 dollars of gas (premium) to get from GA to Texas and thought ONLY 2.30 a gallon!!! Whens a deal not a deal!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Sounds like that could have some effect. Hit them individaully. Gas jumped to 2.29 here today. Of course we could use the Osama plan. Just blow everything to kingdom come.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 special
Of course we could use the Osama plan. Just blow everything to kingdom come.
Lol,Good one.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

gas here is still at 2.70 for the cheap stuff, its been this way for month or so now. Gouging us with a red hot fire poker.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:32 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Bring on the e-85!

I put $40 of mid grade in the white caprice last night, it got me 17 gallons, about 4 gallons short of getting a full tank.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Reasons Gas prices are so high

There are a couple reasons why gas prices are so high.
One is because of all the emerging economic nations, like Russia, China, India, etc. The demand on gasoline in Russia has gone up some 700% since the demize of the USSR, and in China, its gone up about 1000% in the last 10 yrs. India is somewhere in that area. The reason is that due to economic prosperity in these countries, people are buying automobiles in record numbers.
Second reason is that there just arent enough refineries in this country to keep up with our own demand. Thanks to some rather short sighted left wing whacko tree huggers, there have been no new refineries built in this country since 1978, due to laws and regulations passed that year by the US congress.
And due to that same group, its almost impossible to drill oil wells in this country anymore. Making it cheaper for the various oil companies to go off shore for their sources. Ive seen a very misleading rumor going around that all the oil from the Alaska Pipeline goes to Japan. This just isnt happening, at least not directly. What happens is when oil is pumped out of the ground it goes on the stock market, and is bought by the highest bidder, just like any other major trade commodity. By the time its all said and done, who knows where anyones barrel of oil actually went to. At the present time, the oil pumped in this country is only supplying about half of our nations demands, the rest being bought from foreign countries.
Oh the news yesterday, the oil minister of Saudi Arabia said they would increase output from 11 million to 12.5 million barrels a day, but it will take about 6 yrs. for them to get to that productivity level.
Then again, what good is having all the oil if you dont have enough refineries to crack it?
It take somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7 years to construct a refinery.
As for the oil itself, there is plenty of it, and according to a few geologists that I once knew, in Ventura, California, that worked for Shell Oil Company, in 1973, they all told me independently, that we could use petrolium in this country at double the rate we were at that time for the next 200 or more years, and not even make a dent in the bucket of the readily available oil we have under our own ground.
What has to be done, is a dual pattern approach. First is to get our own oil production and refinery back in gear, and secondly, work on alternative fuel sources.
Soy Diesel seems to be the up and coming thing with the big rig drivers. My neighbor is a Semi Driver, and he swears by Soy Diesel, claims his engine runs smoother, cleaner, and more power, and its a renewable resource, and Betty Crocker already produces enough as salad and cooking oil.
Ethanol is another source. Besides being a renewable resource, Ethanol is a more powerful fuel, meaning that with all else equal, an engine running on Ethanol will produce about 10-15% more torque than it will on gasoline. Ethanol is also a lot cleaner burning fuel, as well, and it doesnt take long to put a still together, just ask any oldtime moonshiner.
Drawbacks to Ethanol, requires about a 40% richer fuel mixture, so mileage goes down the toilet. To run higher than a 10% mixture, as you find at your local service station, will require some modifications to your engine, as well as your fuel system. Ethanol finds some of the materials used in fuel lines and gaskets to be very tasty, so this would require using different substances. There are a few other drawbacks but these have been iradicated by the chemists and sellers of Ethanol; lack of lubricating qualities, vaporization problems below 55 degrees F. A gallon of Ethanol costs slightly less than does gas at this time, with the average cost of Ethanol being about $2 a gallon US.
For a carbureted engine, rejetting and tuning for ethanol isnt a serious problem, however, with a computerized FI engine, this requires total reprogramming of the engines computer, as well as injector mods, etc.

Many of the Auto manufacturers today, Ford and GM specifically, are building what are called alternative fuel vehicles, which have a computer programmed to run on both conventional gasoline and what is known as E-85 or 85% Ethanol. All that is required to change fuels is to flip a simple switch on the dash.
It would be great if they would make retro fit setups for older vehicles, so the use of different fuels would be an option for the person driving an 88 vehicle as well as the guy with the 05 vehicle.
As and if the demand for Soy Diesel and Ethanol increase, so will productivity, and with that, the prices on both would surely drop with the rise in popularity.
Maybe if all us hotrodders were to convert our cars over to running on Ethanol, then that would increase the demand and production would rise, as well. One nice thing is that running Alcahol engines in most all states will nullify the legal requirements to have catalytic converters, as there is nothing in burned Ethanol that a cat can convert to anything else.
One other side benefit is that the waste materials, or Mash, can be used as livestock feed. So there is no hazardous chemicals to dispose of, other than road apples, cow pies, etc.
As for boycotting any particular brand of gasoline, forget that idea, as believe it or not, if you dont buy it from them, the secondary and cutrate fuel companies will, at a higher price, and that will be passed on to you. The oil companies arent to blame in this fiasco. Its like anything else, when the demand gets higher than the supply, the price does go up and those willing to pay it will do so.
An example is my brother in law, who owns a bulk plant, under the Conoco brand. He supplies gas stations of both the major and minor brands. The Chevron station on the other end of town the street pumps the same gasoline as does the Caseys General Store, 6 blocks from me, but the General Store is about 5 cents a gallon cheaper. BTW, Both of them get their gasoline from my brother in law.

Last edited by Max Keith; 04-26-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:18 AM

errrrr i think your all getting a little confused here

if you think your pertrol prices are expensive try living in london, and stop making 8 litre engine cars then maybe theyll be some more petrol for everyone

btw its about the equivilent of $10 a gallon here
Old 04-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69novarodr
Took this from another web forum and thought it might end up somewhere good. Seriously, the gas prices are getting ridiculous and something needs to be done about it.
Hogwash, you can't do anything, and this is a myth thats been recycled about 1000 times on this board alone. Read the following:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

K
Old 04-27-2005, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Killer is right. Gas in Canada varies depending on where you are but is averaging around $4.00 a gallon. Opec sets the price per barrel, and all countries follow suit. The 1st thing you have to remember the higher the price per gallon the more TAX the government collects!($2.00 per gallon @40% tax = 80cents - $4.00 at 40% = $1.60) Try writing your Congress,Senator,and Governor. Better yet the President, maybe he will sell you one of his oil wells.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

[QUOTE=69novarodr]Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.QUOTE]
Here is some food for thought. This is originally from an email which went around my area last spring. Shortly thereafter, the Exxon station closed and has not yet reopened. HHHHmmmm. Where will we buy our gas from if they all follow suit?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Problem is America keeps mass producing big displacement engines in their soccer mom SUV's and Trucks.

Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollybud
Killer is right. Gas in Canada varies depending on where you are but is averaging around $4.00 a gallon. Opec sets the price per barrel, and all countries follow suit. The 1st thing you have to remember the higher the price per gallon the more TAX the government collects!($2.00 per gallon @40% tax = 80cents - $4.00 at 40% = $1.60) Try writing your Congress,Senator,and Governor. Better yet the President, maybe he will sell you one of his oil wells.
I have already asked for one of Pesident Bush's oil wells.He replied with a quick,"Go **** yourself young fella".
Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 PM

you dont seem to realize that your petrol is ridiculously cheap, there are many more countries with much more expensive petrol then yours so stop complaining

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.