Gas prices soar - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 01:20 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gas prices soar

In my part of Canada gas prices just went over the $4.00 a gallon mark yesterday for regular.

Advertisement

Last edited by bracketeer; 07-16-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 04:41 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

102.9 per litre here in cape breton nova scotia
Old 07-16-2005, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

I have a friend here in New Jersey who owns his own gas station. He says that you can plan on seeing $3.00 a gallon on the east coast by the middle of September!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

here's a tip to offset the price of gas. It may be that the ship sailed already, but I invested my retirement savings into energy stocks about a year ago and have doubled my money. the more gas goes up, the more my investment returns, so Let the gas prices soar! Something to think about to offset our appetite for energy.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Some people can barely afford to get to their menial minumum wage jobs,the gas prices just hurt them more. The rich get richer,the poor get poorer. What a sham. I hope those rat ******** choke on their money!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

look dude,
I'm not about to start a war of words. I just figure anybody that has a rod has got to have a little rainy day money. I don't have a S$#&pile of money. I was just trying to pass along a little helpful infor that some of the members here may benefit from. I don't wish for higher gas prices, I just found a way to keep my ride on the road no matter what happens. better to have a plan than be a victim of these rat%^&$%^# that manipulate the prices.
ps I think we are in the wrong section for this discussion.

Last edited by ratlover; 07-16-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

I am not knocking on you personally,just the fact that the states and the Feds make tax dollars gallore off the price of gas and the fact that everyone talks about it in a sense that they really want to do something about it,when in reality they don't.It is just a smoke show. Like I stated,too many people can barely afford to drive their cars to work,to make $5.00 or $6.00 an hour.What you have done is smart,no doubt about it,but oil barrons,foreign countries and the likes can choke on it.I can afford to drive just about anywhere I want to, so I am not looking at it in the way that it is affecting me.It is just a real sour spot with alot of people.Best of luck to you,honestly.Personally I wish the bottom would fall right out of it and the cost of shipping everyones Hot Rod parts and things like that would go throught he roof,then maybe I would get my darn pension plan that our company has been promising us for two years now.The cost of all fuels personally affects us in every way possible.The price of fuel in our trucjks rises,so the price of all goods will eventually go up as well.No company is going to continue to absorb the outrageous prices,and continue to offer lw shipping rates.Everything we have has come in on a truck.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

agreed. I heard the US gov wants to start using the social security money it has set aside to prop up the market...hold on kids, I think we are in for a rough ride. Truckers here in BC have resorted to job action to try to offset fuel costs. Their fuel costs are driving their hourly wage down to nothing, so we had better expect that there will be some price increase on everything we consume to offset this. we all gotta make a living. please don't be one of these people that complain about the low wages and then shop at Walmart.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

I despise Wal-Mart. The biggest blight on the face of the earth. To me they are the Herpes of the free world.There is an outbreak every 1.5 miles here in Louisville. I can not understand how we need over thirty Wal-Marts in a city this size.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

We bought our first car, a full dress VW bug, in 1972 for $2,300. Bought our first brand new 1500sqft home in 1973 for $25,000. Gas was ~$0.50/gallon. Median income was ~$7,450/yr for a male (equivalent to $28,391 in 2003 dollars. Norm was a single income family then)). That bug now goes for $23,000, the median home is now $250,000, median income is $29,931 for a male and $17,259 for a female (2003), for a total family income of $41,890 (norm is two income family now). Shouldn't gasoline go for $5/gallon without much disruption in the economy?

http://www.ncpa.org/pd/economy/pd053000e.html

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/o...so/sld002.html
Old 07-16-2005, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

wow,interesting perspective. I think we have maybe taken low fuel costs for granted....still will have a negative effect on surplus cash for the avg consumer, which reduces the amount of play money thay have. the rest is dominos.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
We bought our first car, a full dress VW bug, in 1972 for $2,300. Bought our first brand new 1500sqft home in 1973 for $25,000. Gas was ~$0.50/gallon. Median income was ~$7,450/yr for a male (equivalent to $28,391 in 2003 dollars. Norm was a single income family then)). That bug now goes for $23,000, the median home is now $250,000, median income is $29,931 for a male and $17,259 for a female (2003), for a total family income of $41,890 (norm is two income family now). Shouldn't gasoline go for $5/gallon without much disruption in the economy?

http://www.ncpa.org/pd/economy/pd053000e.html

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/o...so/sld002.html
Just going off of what willys posted, Im just comparing the wages and price increase since back then. The wages for men have multiplied by 3.81 while the prices for a house are 10 times what they used to be. I may just be blowing smoke here, or have come up with what the problem is. But the owner of that house is more than likely getting a loan, and have a huge amount of debt compared to back in the day.
Man, after you think about it, It really is getting harder on your average person. Inflation increased everything up alot, but didn't increase the incomes near as much. I think thats why everything is starting to go to pot

Brad
Old 07-16-2005, 01:02 PM
my alter ego

Last photo:

How many people had a TV back then? was it color? how many channels?

how often could you eat "fast-food" compered to now?

how many people had micro-waves?

What about Air conditioning? or much less central heat and air?

What condition were the houses compared to now?

how many miles did your average car go before it needed new plugs or points ? or replaced?

cell phones?

internet?

computers?

and even if they existed could anybody have afforded them?

You can buy the most amount of garbage for the least amount of work EVER.

People talk about the good 'ol days but the only thing better was the people who were not nearly as affected with greed although there was a time before the car when man would slaughter another man for the sport of it {that's why the millions of buffalo almost went extinct, it was the indians food source and if a person doesn't eat...}. That was about 100 years ago here in America. {if you don't believe me watch "500 Nations" hosted by Kevin Costner, it might be on Discovery Times right now}

It's nice, really nice to have things, but be gracious for what you have.
And I know it is not that you don't have enough, it's that some have sooo much it's unreal, and they play the game to take every last $0.005 they can get from you, and that's what really gets to a guy in todays modern society.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Phoenix. AZ.. Regular down the street just went to 2.38. My house that I bought 27 years ago for $25,000 is now appraised at $305,000 and we own it finally as of last year. May have to refi it to buy gas!! We need to drill in Alaska and strike some deals with Canada, then bomb Iraq and nationalize all the oil fields. I'm sick of getting screwed by the *******s.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNslicks4me
How many people had a TV back then? was it color? how many channels?

how often could you eat "fast-food" compered to now?

how many people had micro-waves?

What about Air conditioning? or much less central heat and air?

What condition were the houses compared to now?

how many miles did your average car go before it needed new plugs or points ? or replaced?

cell phones?

internet?

computers?

and even if they existed could anybody have afforded them?

You can buy the most amount of garbage for the least amount of work EVER.

People talk about the good 'ol days but the only thing better was the people who were not nearly as affected with greed although there was a time before the car when man would slaughter another man for the sport of it {that's why the millions of buffalo almost went extinct, it was the indians food source and if a person doesn't eat...}. That was about 100 years ago here in America. {if you don't believe me watch "500 Nations" hosted by Kevin Costner, it might be on Discovery Times right now}

It's nice, really nice to have things, but be gracious for what you have.
And I know it is not that you don't have enough, it's that some have sooo much it's unreal, and they play the game to take every last $0.005 they can get from you, and that's what really gets to a guy in todays modern society.
GREAT POINTS NDNslicks4me! We need to be reminded what we are complaining about here. Even the 'poor people' we are lamenting over here have a weight problem from overeating, color TVs, VCRs, at least one car, access to the best free education in the history of man and on and on. I grew up in the 50s in rural Kalifornia and we had no electricity (a gas generator supplied that), a windmill for water, crank telephone, no TV, no indoor plumbing (Killed more than one rattle snake curled up next to the outhouse!), and shade trees to temper the balmy 110F San Joaquin Valley summer days. Later when we moved to a house with electical service, we got a swamp cooler - talk about LUXURY, that was the greatest! I remember my folks had a BIG year when they made $1,500. Dad was a time-and-materials carpenter/handyman and when it rained he didn't work. And we NEVER thought we were poor, it NEVER crossed our minds to ask anyone for anything, especially the government. And we were always a very happy and contented family.

Things don't make for happiness; poverty dosen't cause crime; a person in America CHOOSES his place in society, the opportunity to be Prince or Pauper is open to everyone.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.