Gas tank continually rusting out? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gas tank continually rusting out?

I am working on a 69 corvette. This is the third time the gas tank required replacing because it has rusted out in the bottom. The car is driven at least once a week. The original tank lasted 32 years. It was replaced with an after market tank that lasted about 10 years. We have a new tank ordered now to go in next week.

Anyone have any ideas how to prevent the rust thru from happening in the future?

Would a gas additive work to prevent the rust?

I have read good and bad reviews about interior gas tank coatings. Has anyone used these with success?

Thanks for any experience you have had with this. We have older cars with the original tank still working fine with no problems.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Rusting gas tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan
I am working on a 69 corvette. This is the third time the gas tank required replacing because it has rusted out in the bottom. The car is driven at least once a week. The original tank lasted 32 years. It was replaced with an after market tank that lasted about 10 years. We have a new tank ordered now to go in next week.

Anyone have any ideas how to prevent the rust thru from happening in the future?

Would a gas additive work to prevent the rust?

I have read good and bad reviews about interior gas tank coatings. Has anyone used these with success?

Thanks for any experience you have had with this. We have older cars with the original tank still working fine with no problems.
What makes you think your tanks are rusting from the inside. You more than likely are getting cheap tanks from China that has bad metal in them. Metal will also draw moisture out of the cement if you are parked on cement and it is getting wet. Are your straps that hold the tank rusting out also, or just the tank, if they are not then I would get my tank from somewhere else.

Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Tend to agree with Bob......I have had tanks last less than 5 years. Of course, the climate here is a bit harsher......Are you painting the outside of the tank?

I have used the tank coating stuff to repair small engine tanks.....worked well. I forget the name right now
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Make sure you have proper grounding to the tank from the main engine ground, drain all fuel during winter storage. I agree poor quality sheetmetal is a likely contributing cause, they don't build them like they used too.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Tend to agree with Bob......I have had tanks last less than 5 years. Of course, the climate here is a bit harsher......Are you painting the outside of the tank?

I have used the tank coating stuff to repair small engine tanks.....worked well. I forget the name right now
Yes poncho is right tank coating works fine on big tanks too but you get what you pay for so get the good stuff! You can also have it professionally done there are shops that specialize in it! Never heard of vette tanks rusting from the inside out though.

Jester
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Rusted gas tank

Thanks for all the responses. Here are the answers to your questions.

I'm absolutely sure the tank is rusting from the inside because I can see rust in the extreme bottom of the tank on the inside only. I did not paint the outside of the tank but there is no rust on the tank or the straps on the outside at all. The tank looks like a brand new one. The only ground it has is the one near the sending unit. The car is never stored, it is driven year round. As far as availability goes, the best I can tell, it is exactly the same tank from all sources, because it looks the same and sells for the same price regardless where you buy it. I looked for a poly tank but could not find one anywhere for that car. The car is parked on concrete, but there is a vapor barrier under the concrete and there is an enclosed garage over the concrete.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 AM

Last photo:

rusting gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan
Thanks for all the responses. Here are the answers to your questions.

I'm absolutely sure the tank is rusting from the inside because I can see rust in the extreme bottom of the tank on the inside only. I did not paint the outside of the tank but there is no rust on the tank or the straps on the outside at all. The tank looks like a brand new one. The only ground it has is the one near the sending unit. The car is never stored, it is driven year round. As far as availability goes, the best I can tell, it is exactly the same tank from all sources, because it looks the same and sells for the same price regardless where you buy it. I looked for a poly tank but could not find one anywhere for that car. The car is parked on concrete, but there is a vapor barrier under the concrete and there is an enclosed garage over the concrete.
I'm betting bad metal, you can coat it until the cows come home and it will still rust.

Overseas when they melt steel down they melt everything together, which makes for bad sheet metal or bars or whatever. We would never take steel bars from overseas, just no good.

Bob
Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Gearhead

Last photo:

Replacement tanks are still available from GM.. At least they were 5 years ago...Check a delaer that deals in Gm Restoration Parts. I replaced mine in 1995...No problems...
Reid '72 T-top
Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

The added Alcohol in our Fuel doesn't help either, it attracts & absorbs water.
I think coating a new Tank would be a good idea, if as you say it's rusting in the lowest area where water will collect.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Received the new tank today

I had already ordered a new tank from one of the major corvette supply houses. When I received it, there were GM numbers on the box and stamped on the tank itself. The old tank and the new tank both weigh exactly the same weight, 16.5 pounds but the GM tank had some type of zinc coating on the metal that the other tank did not have. It was just plain steel with no coating, so I think this new GM tank will last longer. Oddly enough, the new tank was about the same price as the one purchased 10 years ago.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Gearhead

Last photo:

The last tank I did was 5 years ago in a frind of mine's 71. The tank from the sealer was less than the aftermarket catalogs. You shouldn't have anymore preoblems with a GM tank..
Reid
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Rusting gastank

Quote:
Originally Posted by vncruiser
The last tank I did was 5 years ago in a frind of mine's 71. The tank from the sealer was less than the aftermarket catalogs. You shouldn't have anymore preoblems with a GM tank..
Reid
Well sounds like you might have found the answer. You will have to let us know in 10/15 years.

Bob
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Gearhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Well sounds like you might have found the answer. You will have to let us know in 10/15 years.

Bob
Did mine in 1995..Car sits alot...No problems..

Reid '72 T-top

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.