Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   General Rodding Tech (
-   -   Gas tank filler (

guba_unus 05-12-2008 05:23 PM

Gas tank filler
I am looking to move my gas/fuel tank filler so that I can run it through the rear fender on my 50 chevy PU. The tank only has about 3 1/2 inches between the top and the bottom of the bed. Currently the fill is on top and centered on the tank. I've thought of running a line from this position to the fender, however the line would have a dip and gas would puddle in the fill tube.

I'd like to move the filler to the side but am unsure how best to accomplish this. The filler is a bolt on type and my first thought is to drill the side of the tank and bolt a new one on. But I'm not sure of the gaskets on the side. The low point of the gasket would be about 3" down from the top of the tank. So a leak when full could probably dump about 4 or 5 gallons of gas on the floor.
Would it be worth it to go through the process of welding a filler to the side? (I've read quite a bit about cleaning/purging/professional help to weld on the tank)

Henry Highrise 05-12-2008 05:33 PM

It would be a lot easier, simpler , and safer just to find another tank that had the neck in the right place. Go to junk yard and look at tanks on newer model pick-ups.

CustomConspiracy 05-13-2008 02:02 PM

Tank stuff
I was at the bone yard and saw a LOT of tanks in s-10's and other little trucks. They are plastic......come is all sorts of shapes and most of them already had the pump still in em.
I'll probably go that route with my 65 Chev p-up. Right now I just moved the tank out of the cab, and into the bed. Have to build a little house to cover it up though.

guba_unus 05-13-2008 06:40 PM

I'd like to use the tank out of a small truck, but have yet to find one that is mounted behind the rear axle. I have a 4-link that fills the space where the normal saddle tanks go. I'd also like to stick with the current tank as I have quite a bit of money in it and it's setup already. The only change I want is to move the filler to the passenger side, but I worry if the gasket for the filler is below the gas level in the tank, then it is likely to leak. Am I worrying too much?

Henry Highrise 05-13-2008 06:47 PM

My advice if you want to use the tank you have is to take the tank to a professional and get him to move the neck where you want it. A pro will braze the neck on and braze a patch or plate over where it used to be and then you won't have to worry about leaks. Do not try it yourself...let a pro that know how to do it and keep things need to blow yourself up over a gas tank. Some welding shops will do this as well as some radiator shops.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.