Gas Tank Removal Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Sucking Gas & Haulin' A$$

Wiki Edits: 0

Gas Tank Removal Questions

I have a leak in my gas tank on my 83 olds. We dropped the tank(wasn't very difficult). We are now trying to remove the fuel sender from the tank. There is a locking type ring that holds the sender in. We can;t figure out how to get the locking ring off.

Also what is the best way to fix a leek in a gas tank. It has a small pinhole, like it was puncured by a rock or some road debris. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2003, 07:30 PM

There will be two tabs on the sending unit retainer ring. Use a flathead screw driver and tap the tab in the left direction. It will free upand i believe there is two "notches" on the ring that have to line up with two "female notches" to lift the ring off. When the ring is removed the sending unit will pull right out. (mind the float as you pull the unit)
Where is the leak in the tank??

Last edited by Indian; 09-02-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:53 PM

the leak is on the bottom of the tank roughly in the center.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Military Mechanic

Last photo:

If it was totally drained, aired out I might try tack welding it if you can see the leak. Or a high grade epoxy might work too. I'm in the army and use the mil-spec jbweld all the time to repair small holes in otherwise pita projects. We have one line of stuff that works extremely well. Held together a couple radiators on a 903 ci engine in the middle of death valley. Its called belzona. Website is: http://www.belzona.com Click on the belzona polymers for information. However I don't know how to purchase it outside of gov't supply channels. The stuff is pretty good. Highly flexible and easily machinable. Maybe the por-15 equivelant of jbweld?

Really nothing to do with a gas tank but was just reading that they repaired the rudder on the Queen Elizabeth II 19 years ago with this stuff.

Last edited by esears; 09-02-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:46 PM

If your going to weld your gas tank be careful. If youve never done it before just take it to a radiator shop have them boil it out and solder it. If you are going to make the repair yourself have it boiled out first. Even if it is dry as soon as you hit it with a torch or welder you will have to walk two blocks to go pick it up, don't ask me how I know this. There are ways around it though. you can fill it with water except for the spot you are going to weld,or you can fill it with inert gas, argon carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, whatever you have handy. then weld away.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

Thumbs down leak in gas tank

Pleas! DON'T DO IT! Take it to a Radiator shop and have it repaired. You may have to look around to find a shop that will do it. Again do not do it! I have seen gas tank's that were washed out air out and left to air out for more than a month and it still blew up. I have heard that if you wash it out and then air it out and then put old coffee grounds in it and then wash it again that it will be safe! I don't believe it and would not try it. TAKE IT TO THE SHOP! It may even have more than one hole in it. --------------------------------------------------------------Gene Neal
Old 09-02-2003, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will take the tank to a radiator shop and have it repaired. I got the sender out and the tank completly drained. I was using the bar of soap trick for awhile. I decided I should take it down and have it fixed, since the exhaust pipes run by both sides of the tank.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:13 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Kits

There are kits you can buy that are 3 step kits. One cleans out the tank completely of all rust and junk. The next step coats the whole inside and the last step does the sealing (I believe bonds to step 2's coating.) Works great.
I have also sealed gas tank leaks with this stuff that you had to knead together and then apply it to the leak. It sealed it up without even dropping or draining the tank. That was about 7 years ago and it still holding fine. I can't remember what it is called, but the stuff came in 2 rectangular packages and looked like clay. One was gray and the other was brown. Maybe someone else knows what I am talking about? (Honest.. I'm not crazy! hehehe)

Rock on...

Seņor

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.