Gas tank To Reseal or Buy New - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gas tank To Reseal or Buy New

Hello everyone, I have an '81 El Camino it has been sitting for a while I have rebuilt the engine.
My focus is on the exterior of the car now, particularly, the gas tank. I have taken the gas tank out of the car, and removed the sending unit. Looking inside the tank has revealed loose chunks of rust. The exterior of the tank has some rust also. As far as I can tell it does not have any leaks. When I bought the car a couple of years ago, I drove it home with no obvious signs of leaks.
Can I get a good quality kit that I can stop the rust and reseal the inside of the tank myself? Obvious, if I can do it myself and save myself a little money, thats the way I want to go. On the other hand, do I buy another tank?
If I reseal it myself, where can I get a good quality kit? If I buy new(preferrably with the sending unit) where can I get a gas tank for a '81 El Camino.
Any and all responses are greatly appriciated.

Chevman

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

we use to have old tanks cleaned out .i dont know if anybody still does it or not. but you can get a new tank for around 200 bucks. Cole
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

The cleaning out is the hard part, I've done some tanks where I've put about a gallon of Marine Clean, then tossed in a big handful of 20 penny nails, 1/2" bolts, steel tumbling media, cap off all the holes and then shook the thing in every concieveable position till I was dizzy...with minimal rust removal... I finally made a big rotisserie that hangs out of the backside of my lathe, it holds the tank, in several positions, and I turn it on slow speed for several hours....days even...Noisy is not the word to accurately describe the sounds that it makes...A million monkeys beating on a million garbage can lids is more like it...

I have a 68 chevy PU in my shop right now with about 1/4 of bubbly rust on the inside, a new repro tank is about 140.00-180.00..

It's getting a new tank.

If you can find someone (radiator shop) to clean out the tank, and seal it with one of the better sealers, and do it right, it'll probably cost close to as much as a new tank anyway..

Here is a thread with some links and suggestions for tank sealers and methods.

Gas Tank - help needed 48 chevy panel truck

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

my new tank, straps, sending unit, tank pad, lock ring and filler neck grommet was $310 from ebay. Keep in mind some of those tanks come in bare steel and some come painted.....you dont want these as they will rust. The dodge tank i bought was made in canada.....the rest are made in taiwan. The canadian tank is either galvanized or coated somehow. The sending unit is stainless stainless steel and and has no wires wrapped around the sending unit pipe. This throws off the electrical values to the gauge. get one with a metal strip and make sure the sending unit is not plated. I have had many problems doing it the cheap way. some things you just dont want to go cheap one. THis is one of them.

tank
http://stores.ebay.com/Tamrazs-Parts-Discount-Warehouse he has the canadian made tank for $169 plus shipping. cant beat that

sending unit i only saw one used on there for $64 that was claimed to have worked but had no returns

Last edited by glhx; 05-03-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

Year One has the tank for your Elky for $165, part number DG24. I'd go with Year One over an ebay seller, since you can call them back in a month and you know they'll still be there.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=B

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.