Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Body - Exterior (
-   -   gas welding (

txdrifter 11-18-2005 09:05 PM

gas welding
Hi folks My question is about the type of rods to buy for gas welding on my car. I heard not to get the fluxed Brazing rods. and also I read somewhere about annealing could someone tell me a little more about that . I dont need quater panels but I have got to cut out where someone cut out on the runners and just glassed and bondoed it and I want to put some metal patches in thanks....Randy

MARTINSR 11-18-2005 09:56 PM

Go to a welding supply store and pick up some mild steel rod. I think you should read some on welding before you start. Brazing with brazing rod and welding are two different things. Brazing is more like "gluing" with the torch by melting the brass over two or more pieces of metal to join them. Welding is actually melting the pieces of metal together making one piece.

You need a very small tip to weld sheet metal.


txdrifter 11-18-2005 11:35 PM

Thanks martinsr I do need to learn on some welding so im trying to get the info to buy the right stuff to practise with and once again thanks...Randy

poncho62 11-19-2005 06:12 AM

You are probably gas welding because you don't have a mig..............Mig welders are a godsend for sheet metal welding. With gas the warpage is bad, so you really have to be carefull.

John Kelly 11-19-2005 07:53 AM

Some of us gas weld because we think it is the best method to use (smile) You can read why here:


txdrifter 11-19-2005 08:12 AM

Thanks once again for the info. I woul have gotten a mig welder but the job is so small I just thought a gas weld would be best. It's just the runners and lip that the weather seal sits on maybe a inch or so wide....Randy

Henry Highrise 11-19-2005 08:15 AM

I use to use coathangers years ago when they were made with good metal. The new ones won't work. Hay baling wire used to work good also, but alas that was gone when they started using twine for that. You can by gas welding rods at a welding supply store though and I think TSC (TractorSupplyStore has them also.

txdrifter 11-19-2005 08:20 AM

yes I rember back in the 70's when they used clothes hangers too.I never saw them buy gas rods.well I guess I could raid the closet and get a bunch of the plastic ones and melt them into a patch :D : Just kidding have a good day...Randy

MARTINSR 11-19-2005 08:30 AM

Hey Henry, do you remember when you would go to the welding supply store and grab a handful of rod out of a rack and they would weigh it? Just pay by the pound and walk out. Not anymore, just as easy to buy of course but they are prepackaged now. The reason is they have to include a prop 65 (maybe only in California now that I think about it) warning about the cancer causing elements in the rod when you melt it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.