Hot Rod Forum banner

Gasket brand recommendation

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  chevy_power427 
#1 ·
I'm looking for advice on different gasket brands. I have a worked over 355 sbc that i'll be pulling out in the next 2 weeks. I'll be replacing the head gasket and all. I used the fel-pro head gasket supplied with the full engine kit, nothing performance, it was a blue one permatorque. Since my engine is far from stock (10.75:1 comp.), I want to feel safer with something better, not that I had problems, but since I'll be replacing it, why not upgrade. I was thinking about Corteco. Tell me what you think, and part numbers would be good too. Thanks!

#5 ·
I'm a fel pro guy. It sounds cliche since everyone uses them, but there's a reason for that. They are really that good.

I've used ROL gaskets with very good success as well. I used them since they had a different crush height and I wanted to fine tune a compression ratio and I was very happy with them.

#8 ·
It`s rare I use Fel Pro head gaskets, I usually use GM head gaskets or Mr. Gasket, whatever I can find that has the correct height to get a good quench. Fel Pro is a excellant gasket and in the past when I used them on basic or high performance builds they worked fine. I Just about only use Victor Reinz Gaskets, these are made by Dana and the quality is outstanding.
The Mr. Gasket head gaskets are about the only thing they make I`ll use, the gaskets are excellant.

#9 ·
gaskets

I also use a bunch of fel-pro gaskets.

I buy kits from my warehouse that are all Corteco gaskets. I can tell you that I am just as impressed with there quality as the fel-pro stuff. I even have a set of the out-of-the box (non-race) head gaskets on a 12.1:1 406. That customer is a bit hard on engines. I got it back after about 20,000 miles of street driving and about 100 1/4 mile passes and there was zero head gasket isues. I put the same head gaskets back on it ( a new set, not the used ones) this time.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.