Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gasser!!!!
Thread: Gasser!!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isky1843
Great stuff guys. I have thought about blocks and re-arching springs and just don't like the way it looks. Think I'm just gonna build a straight axle. Now the next half baked idea! Rolling around the possibility of building a straight axle out of the stocker. Maybe cut it where it turns down, inboard of the spindles, and weld in a straight piece. I would like to keep the original hubs and drum brakes and this is the only way I see to do this. The axle is forged steel which welds very nice if done right, but does anyone know if they are heat treated or hardened? And before anyone says it, yes, I like to do it the hard way! When asked about a feature on my vehicles, I get the utmost satisfaction out of saying, " I built that" than saying, " I bought" or " I had that built". I'm sure you guys know what I mean.
I am with you all the way on this one. Just build a jig to hold the ends in place at the proper angle.Then cut them off like a piece of thick pipe and fit your new tubing between them.Tack then weld them up carefully and it should be perfect.