Gasser!!!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Eric. i have looked around at speedway and have not been able to find one for under $200. I have seen the ones for $250 or so. In the end, I will most likely take a drive to a buddy's shop so I can use his lathe and machine some ends to put on a piece of quarter wall chromoly. However, If a straight axle for my hubs for under $200 exists, I would be more inclined to go that route depending on quality of the product. Thanks for the info though! Great to be getting some feedback.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Heres one on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gasse...item4cf4f59ead
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Ebay isn't speedway. Thanks for the link 57, at this point I am just going to build one. Be it dangerous, crazy or just plain stupid, I am confident in my abilities as a fabricator. Time to put that A&M engineering degree to work for me. I'll put some pics up when I get underway with it.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 AM
More for Less Racer

If you have access to the needed equipment a straight axle isn't a complicated piece to make, so if you feel that is in your wheelhouse of ability then go for it.

I have dealt quite a bit with Ebay sellers, have yet to have any problems with companies who sell their products there, and only a couple problems in 200 transactions with individuals, only one of which couldn't be resolved. That $150 axle from EZBUCKET would get a real hard look from me(in fact it is very likely to end up under a project of mine, thanks for the link 57halfton I hadn't found them yet ) and I do have the equipment needed to machine my own parts. That price seems very fair, and they are highly rated, with 100% feedback rating. I wouldn't be at all afraid to deal with them.

Last edited by ericnova72; 02-09-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isky1843
Great stuff guys. I have thought about blocks and re-arching springs and just don't like the way it looks. Think I'm just gonna build a straight axle. Now the next half baked idea! Rolling around the possibility of building a straight axle out of the stocker. Maybe cut it where it turns down, inboard of the spindles, and weld in a straight piece. I would like to keep the original hubs and drum brakes and this is the only way I see to do this. The axle is forged steel which welds very nice if done right, but does anyone know if they are heat treated or hardened? And before anyone says it, yes, I like to do it the hard way! When asked about a feature on my vehicles, I get the utmost satisfaction out of saying, " I built that" than saying, " I bought" or " I had that built". I'm sure you guys know what I mean.
I am with you all the way on this one. Just build a jig to hold the ends in place at the proper angle.Then cut them off like a piece of thick pipe and fit your new tubing between them.Tack then weld them up carefully and it should be perfect.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Just an FYI. I contacted the owner of EZTBUCKET yesterday and he will sell you just the ends for a straight axle for $15 a piece. It would cost me more to drive the 4 hours round trip to use the lathe. Speedy- I will probbably do that just because of how much flack I have gotten over it, and if it comes out good I will run it. However i would like to use the axle to make my jig first and build a tube axle just in case I dont like the way the hack job comes out. It is awesome to finaly see someone with a little imagination and confidence. I don't remember who said it but there was a comment about the ends would have to fit into the tube for it to be strong enough. Take a good hard look at a store bought straight axle, the tube is bird mouthed and the ends are welded on. Seems to work fine to me.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage...xle,46415.html
$224
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

Don't take me wrong,A lot of beginners need the extra because of their lack of ability and experience to do a good weld. But Randy and I have been welding since we were in our teen's and have plenty of confidence in what we weld.You are correct about the way factory axles are put together. Randy and I have both had people tell us that something we did looks like it was done at the factory,I tell them there are people just like us working at those factories.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM
More for Less Racer

At $15 each for the machined kingpin end, I don't even think I would mess around cutting up a stock axle. Just buy the ends and get a tube and go to it . You'll spend more time cleaning up the junk you cut off and on consumables than it is worth

I've got a lathe, and by the time you get the material and spend the time making them it is pretty much a wash if you ask me to just buying those ends from EZBucket.

Good thread, now I know how I'm going to do it. I was considering cutting up a truck I beam but now I'm not even going to bother. New ends + new tube = nice welds and nice results.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM

speedy- I didn't take you wrong at all, I was commending you for showing a can do attitude which I like.
Eric- You are absolutely right and I am going to do this but just because of all the negativity, I will cut and weld one out of the stock I beam as well just to show it can be done successfully.
427- still not under $200 but thanks for the link
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
More for Less Racer

From what I have gathered virtually all I-beam axles are forged, so welding should be no problem at all
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I don't know about the width, but the front axle under my 2WD Jeep looks pretty good.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Here we go! This is what I call feedback! 10-4 on the forged axles, from what I can tell, no heat treating either. The connections will need total boxing that fit the contours of the I beam for strength and plenty of bracing. I have a good friend who is a metallurgist as well as a professor at a university close by. He said if I bring him a sample of the axle, he can test it and tell me the specific alloy used. Great idea with the Jeep axle, even if it is a little narrow, there are ways to get around that using backspacing, or even lengthening it a bit. I am pretty sure you can buy weld on knuckles for the ends and use a piece of pipe to custom make a specific length, then just use the spindles. It seemed like this thread was turning into a mud slinging match but now it seems like it will be useful. Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 AM
31 five window

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isky1843
speedy- I didn't take you wrong at all, I was commending you for showing a can do attitude which I like.
Eric- You are absolutely right and I am going to do this but just because of all the negativity, I will cut and weld one out of the stock I beam as well just to show it can be done successfully.
427- still not under $200 but thanks for the link
I know you did not take me wrong,I was trying not to offend beginners by saying ,I have been there also but have learned over the years and now have confidence in my abilities that I am not afraid to weld any material that is safe to weld on.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.