gasser front end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2003, 08:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

gasser front end

Does anyone have any info on what axle, springs and hardware used to build a period correct Willys gasser? For example, the old Stone, Cook and Woods '41 Willys gasser.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 01:36 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

I'm not an expert on this subject by any stretch, but I believe that most gassers used whatever axle they had available! Most used parallel leaf springs but I have seen a number of cross spring frontends on different gassers also! Personally, I would look for either a Ford axle from 28' to 48' or a Chevy axle from 49' to 54'. Simply because there are lots of reproduction parts for these axles from companies like Speedway Motors! They even carry disc brake conversions for these axles. As for my Gasser project, I am usind a 60's chevy van axle and even it's hard to find parts for!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:07 PM

Oddrodder has it right. Check out Speedway Motors. The've got a website and a huge catalog full of cool stuff. There is another company that sells the parallel leaf front end for this type of project. It's called MAS Inc. They're located somewhere in the midwest. They have a strip-type ad in every issue of Street Rodder Magazine. You can get the axle, springs, bushings, shakels, mounting brackets, and your choice of spindles for ~$400 if I recall correctly. You can even specify the axle width and drop.

A friend of mine just installed a MAS setup on his 38 Chevy using disc brakes and 10 spoke ET Gasser rims. It's pretty sweet!

I've got a straight axle on my 64 Dodge of unknown pedigree and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out who the original manufacturer was. All I know is that it was swapped out of a 60s era van.

My advise; go with all new stuff.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Also the early '60's Ford Vans and Econoline Pickups had the straight front axles.

Kevin
Old 12-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

The best axle for the Willys is the stock unit. Drilled with 7/8" holes it is a winner. Plenty strong and is a perfect period piece. I run a chromed, drilled stock unit in my car. Second choice is a tubular unit like the ones Speedway sells. Any other beam axle will be too bug and bulky looking for the tiny Willys. The stock axle has a mild drop and it is perfectly correct to add riser blocks to get the proper nose high stance. I made my 3" riser blocks from 1 1/2" x 3" channel iron with plates welded on to make them a closed blocks. Don't make the mistake of using high arched springs to get height - that will result in very dangerous and severe bump steer. I also drilled the axle U-bolt holes to accept 3/8" bolts to replace of the stock 5/16". I use stock springs with an added leaf for the weight of the hemi and the stock forged steel U-spring hangers still available at Jeep dealers.

I also adapted Ford hubs to my spindles so I have modern brakes (see http://hotrodders.com/projects/001/02.html).

Old 12-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Don't know if it will work but

I don't know if this will work or not and seeing as your just north of me. I've got a front streight axle out of a '46 1/2 Tn Chevy Panel Truck that I don't need you can have it if you want. I've got the springs too.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:45 PM

the period correct axles used in the original gassers were either the original axle with re- arched springs, or ford econoline axles with re- arched springs.
this is my recollection of these cars at that time and asking questions of the crews in the pits at the winternationals in 61 and 62.
hope this helps.

old rodder 60

p.s.
the chevy truck axle will probably work if the width is right and you get the springs re-arched.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My only comment is don't rearch the springs. That will induce severe bump steer. Install riser blocks with relatively flat stock springs. That was also done in the old days (especially by the guys who lost control of their cars with rearched springs!).
Old 12-08-2003, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

>>>dont know if this will help u or not but my 49 anglia i had was built in 65 and had a 3 in dropped tube axle with coil over Koni shocks and used a watts linkage. It was very easy to drive at 135 so maybe this is something u can think about . By the way the car weighed 1910 with a 305 chevy in c/gas. It also had a 4 in boxed channel frame with a 4 link hung on a 58 olds rear.Wish i still had it.

>>> sry 3 in boxed channel frame

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.